Brazing capacity of Bernzomatic Oxy/Mapp torch?

Threaded View
Hello,

I have one of those little Bernzomatic Oxy/Mapp gas torches, and I am
wondering if it is going to be enough for a brazing project.  What I need to
do is braze a 1/2" diameter C2 insert onto the end of a 1/2" diameter brass
rod.

I realize that a proper OA setup would be the most appropriate tool to use,
but since I only need to make a few of these it would save me a bunch of
money if I didn't have to get an OA setup.  The only question is whether or
not the Bernzomatic will be enough torch or not.

Any opinions on if it will be enough torch for the intended job?

Thanks,

Jon

Re: Brazing capacity of Bernzomatic Oxy/Mapp torch?

Jon,
I had one of those little torches for awhile.  They are not too bad but go
through the gas really fast.  They will braze pretty well for stuff that
size but I think you ar going to have trouble brazing carbide to brass.  The
brass and brazing rod melt at the same temp.
I would go with a good mapp torch without the O2 and silversolder.

Glenn

Re: Brazing capacity of Bernzomatic Oxy/Mapp torch?

"Glenn" wrote:  I would go with a good mapp torch without the O2 and
silversolder.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I was going to suggest Mapp gas WITH O2 and silver solder.

Re: Brazing capacity of Bernzomatic Oxy/Mapp torch?
need
The

Thanks, Glenn.  I am actually planning on using a brazing ribbon, with a
liquidus of  1305F (707C), which should give me a little more room to work
with than a rod.

Jon.

Re: Brazing capacity of Bernzomatic Oxy/Mapp torch?

I never had any luck at all silver soldering or brazing using any kind of
Bernzomatic anything. However, with an oxy/acetylene rig it works fine for me.
My general comment is sure, try it, but if it doesn't work right away and
quickly, then don't waste your time and expensive little bottles, just go rent
an O/A setup and be done with it.

GWE

Re: Brazing capacity of Bernzomatic Oxy/Mapp torch?
I've done some - but as said before - runs a lot of Oxygen tanks and the are
expensive.

You might have better luck by pre-heating in a furnace or oven and then place it
in
a insulative area when trying to braze it.  E.G. use the oven to get the Heat
content
up to temperature and use the torch to push it over the top for the braze with a
little
more humph.

What I did was to get a O/A gauge set and hoses and then a tank of Oxygen and
use my
30 gallon of Propane as the fuel.  Got the propane torch for the Vector set.
Works nice.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

-

Re: Brazing capacity of Bernzomatic Oxy/Mapp torch?

I have an oxy/acet torch, but would not bother to uncoil the hose for
your job.  That is if I understand correctly.  The ringer is how long
is that brass rod.

If it is 6 inches long or less, I would use one or two plain propane
torches and stack a couple of insulating fire brick to support  the
work and keep the heat from radiating away.
Plain propane is plenty hot enough for silver brazing.

If that brass rod is long, then it is easier to supply a lot of heat in
a hurry and get it brazed without getting the whole rod hot.

Even though you already have the oxy/mapp torch, I would use a plain
propane torch to preheat the brass.  Just because it is less expensive.

                                                                Dan

Re: Brazing capacity of Bernzomatic Oxy/Mapp torch?

as something of an advanced hobby machinist..I question the utility of
using carbide bonded with brass as any sort of cutting tool, for
anything other than a hand scraper.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Re: Brazing capacity of Bernzomatic Oxy/Mapp torch?
need to
brass

Thanks, Dan, that sounds like a worthwhile plan to me.  I'll get the bar as
hot as I can with the propane, and then use the oxy/mapp to heat the tip for
the actual brazing.

Jon

Re: Brazing capacity of Bernzomatic Oxy/Mapp torch?

If it is an insert it has almost certainly not been braze treated.

I would lighlyt grind the contact area of the insert and the contact
area of the rod in a bench grinder or with a dremel tool using a stone.

For fixturing I would suggest a fire brick with 1" hole in from
the the bottom half way and a 2" hole in for the top half way.
Insert the rod from the bottom.  Dip the trimetal braze alloy in Black
Flux.  Use Black Flux because you will need the extra Boron for an
extended heating cycle.

Put the trimetal braze alloy on the rod and put the insert on top of
that.   Heat through the carbide which will which will help compensate
for the differences in thermal expansion.

Tom

Re: Brazing capacity of Bernzomatic Oxy/Mapp torch?

If it is an insert it has almost certainly not been braze treated.

I would lighlyt grind the contact area of the insert and the contact
area of the rod in a bench grinder or with a dremel tool using a stone.

For fixturing I would suggest a fire brick with 1 " hole in from
the the bottom half way and a 2" hole in for the top half way.
Insert the rod from the bottom.  Dip the trimetal braze alloy in Black
Flux.  Use Black Flux because you will need the extra Boron for an
extended heating cycle.

Put the trimetal braze alloy on the rod and put the insert on top of
that.   Heat through the carbide which will which will help compensate
for the differences in thermal expansion.

Tom

Thanks, Tom.  All I have available locally here is regular silver solder
flux, so I'll be using that.  Thanks for the sandwich and heating technique
suggestions, though, that is something I hadn't figured out how to
accomplish yet.

Jon

Re: Brazing capacity of Bernzomatic Oxy/Mapp torch?
If by regular flux, you mean white flux then use a lot of it.

Site Timeline