building a chop saw out of an angle grinder?

anyone try this? I was thinking that it might help in making some square cuts in angle. should be fairly easy to make.

Reply to
Tater

I cannot see how you can avoid having a chop saw, given that they are so cheap. An angle grinder, even mounted, is a very poor substitute for one.

Ignoramus31708

Chop Saw Wheels turn about 3600 RPM.

My grinder spins about 10,000 RPM. If a chop saw wheel were somehow mounted on a grinder, the grossly over reved wheel would be more dangerous that a gernade with no pin.

Reply to
Nadogail

"Tater" wrote in news:1161485486.982246.150390 @i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Ernie!

Not - exactly - but close:

Reply to
RAM³

Have read the other posts here, and agree with the fact that using an angle grinder may not give the beat results. In our school workshop we have a chop saw that uses a 1" by 14" blade. Switch on, after setting it up, and just walk away. As it finishes the cut it switches off automatically, great when doing lots of repetition work rather that the odd one off.

But you probably knew this already, so for the help I thought why not try one of the more expensive compound mitre saws, like this one:

Most of the larger ones have an all metal guard so can use grinding wheels. Pop in a grinding disk and you have a very accurate chop saw. Lots of money though for one off use.

Best of luck E

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
RoyJ

Ok, so I will state the obvious...and tell what i did...at a "yard sale" I bought a Hitachi 10" miter saw for $25.00 Sure it was older and needed to have the pivot hinge tightened up a smidge but the darn thing works real well.

DO REMEMBER TO ADDRESS THE DUST REMOVAL ISSUE. Mine had a plastic director that simply melted on a long cut. I replaced it with a simple sheet aluminum shroud to blow away from the front of the saw. You may also want to shield any motor openings/vents to keep the metal dust out of the brushes etc.

I can't imagine the time and materials needed to turn a right angle grinder into a cutoff.

Reply to
Kerry

Tater inquired about turning A grinder into A chop saw and to this I say: Horrible Fright sells an adaptor to turn A 4 or 4.5 inch angle grinder into A chop saw but ,to me, it looks like a waste of good metal and time screwing with it. In my opinion you would be better off with A worm drive circular saw and A metal cutting blade or bite the bullet and pick up A real chop saw. I bought one at an auction last week to carry in the work truck for

35 bucks. It's only 12 inch but like new as the guy that owned it used it to cut plastic drain tile.Not much wear on it from that stuff and I got 4 plastic cutting blades with it.

H.R. "I'd like someone to tell me where exactly I'm going and why am I in this handbasket?"

Reply to
harleyron

"Kerry" WROTE: (clip) I can't imagine the time and materials needed to turn a right angle grinder into a cutoff. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Harbor Freight sells a little conversion kit for doing this. However, people who have tried them say they will not produce an accurate cut.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

thanks for all the posts.

can someone explain to me how getting another power tool is cheap? I am cramped on space, I'd only need to used the converted angle iron as a chop saw maybe 4 times a YEAR. that woudl come to what, $25 per use if i only use it for one year?

anyway, now that i know it is possible, i'll give it a go. once it cuts moderately square, thats all i'd need, and only 4 times a year at that (at the most)

Reply to
Tater

If you are only going to use 4 times a year, then if you are unable to cut the angle sq freehand, make a simple cutting jig to do the job.

Ken