Butt welding ends of 1/16" stainless wire

The tab on my son's jacket zipper, that you would grab to move the zipper up and down, broke.

I made a replacement as an oblong ring made of 1/16" 316 stainless TIG wire. By the way, this can be done super nicely and easily using round nose pliers -- the result is great looking and is easy to make.

Anyway, in the end I had to weld the link shut, as a butt weld. I used the same wire as filler.

It worked, but left a little "bulb" near the weld. After careful grinding, it is fine, but I wonder: Is there some secret technique to such welding, that would make the weld look very similar to surrounding wire? (TIG)

Ignoramus25384

Though it's difficult with TIG, stretching the joint as it solidifies can remove most of the bulge.

bought a tapered pry bar, annealed it, turned the taper longer and rehardened it. For cruder work I use cheap tapered pin punches as anvils to forge small rings and flares. Stainless forges pretty well cold without cracking, though it can dent the anvil.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Silver brazing.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

=A0 =A0 =A0 Dan

That's what I used to do.

Reply to
kfvorwerk

That's what I used to do.

Reply: I still get a small blob on the junction.

Reply to
Califbill

That's what needle files are for.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

glegroups.com...

=A0 =A0 =A0 Dan

I used borax flux, a tiny piece of silver soldier and used a Prestolite torch. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk