Chassis building welder

Hi all, I am wanting to build a monster truck chassis out of round tubeing upto 2" in dia. So what I would like to know is what type of welder should this all be done with. How big a task is this going to be as well because I have not done much welding before, so should I go on a course to help me learn.

Many thanks voodoojai

Reply to
VoodooJai

Tubing welding in this size is non trivial so you would need some lessons and practice before tackling it. It could be done with stick, MIG, Flux Core, or TIG, it's deterimined by what equipment you have and what you are best at. Starting from scratch, I'd probably say a 220volt MIG outfit would be best.

Warn> Hi all, I am wanting to build a monster truck chassis out of round

Reply to
RoyJ

Thanks for the reply, what size of machine would be needed to do this type of work. If the design of the chassis is right then its the welding that thats the hard bit. Although I do realise that chassis failures are a great possibilty.

VoodooJai

Reply to
VoodooJai

What you are asking is equal to asking advice about making your own parachute.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Here is some welding that apparently held

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Well, Duh, what do you expect? They're going the wrong way!

Steve ;-)

Reply to
Steve B

miller 251 will do the job, and then some.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Even a 251 will produce some bad welds in the hands of an inexperienced operator.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

If I understand correctly, the plan is to weld a vehicle chassis and that someone--you?--will ride in said vehicle and others--drivers, stadia audience, stadia staff--will be nearby and, thus, be at risk should a weld fail. In other words, you're not just thinking about learning to weld on a fence project but on something that could kill a person(s) if your welds fail due to your inexperience. Yes?

My opinion: If a person asks "what type of welder" then that person also cannot understand the risks from inadequate welds. This is way more a _safety_ issue than it is about the right welder.

Poor welds are not a problem on that shelf bracket in my shop or something else that I make. But a vehicle chassis? That's a way different animal.

There was an experienced weekend weldor that used to post to this newsgroup years ago who put together a trailer project. He did all the cutting and tacked it up. Once trued up he had a professional weldor complete the job right there with his welder in his driveway. That didn't cost him much. He said he larned a lot from working with the pro. And, he knew it was done to the proper standard. Maybe consider this option.

I think you're right on with the idea of taking a course. Your local community college may offer an evening course or two.

Hope this helps.

Ciao, David Todtman

Reply to
David Todtman

David, this is a great idea. If/when I ever try to build a trailer, that is what I will do.

Ignoramus21474

i find it hard to judge one's ability via a newsgroup. he may actually be a natural when it comes to welding. i just offered a make/model that will do the job.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

I would imagine that as the op doesnt know what welding set to use for this project, that his grasp of how to fishmouth round tubes for proper joint fit up may well be somewhat lacking.

Kenny

It's actually not a bad way to do any job. We had a tubing race car frame using .065" wall tube. Spent weeks fabricating the whole thing together with heavy tacks, ground down the tacks for minimal height, then welded the whole chassis together in one session. Had my best welder tune the welding machine exactly the way he wanted, had two helpers to flip the chassis over so all welds were downhand. We wound up with VERY consistent welds.

BTW: We have a 200 amp Miller and 200 amp Century side by side. No > >

Reply to
RoyJ

I once welded out a dune buggy frame that had come tack welded. I did it with a MillerMatic 200. I cranked it up a little over normal, and concentrated on the root. The owner ran it and ran it at Dumont and Coral Pink for years. Then he was killed in it.

Cause - driving while intoxicated. Upon examination of the frame, it was decided that the points where some welds failed did not cause the crash, were not present before the crash, and that the impact and forces were beyond the limits of the metal anyway.

Bottom line, I felt bad about it for a couple of years. Then his best friend said, "There was nothing wrong with the welding. Jim just drove drunk all the time. It was bound to happen."

Still, I won't touch anything that is related to racing, although I believe I can do it and do it right.

As another poster mentioned, if someone else's life is on the line, you better be pretty darned sure. Or some ambulance chaser will be on your a** for a very long time, and will cost you some real bucks.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

By the look of the crash Most of the welds held very well. the parts that flew off were either bolt-on, or pinned on Not welded.

But the point was seen very clearly.

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn