cold weather starting - bobcat 250NT

Threaded View
my bobcat cranks immediately and revs to speed so fast that it makes me
cringe to start it in cold weather.  travelling several hours to outside
jobsites in sub-zero temperatures is somewhat common and theres no way to
preheat the engine.  i guess my question would be am i damaging my engine by
starting it in cold weather?  can anything be done to prelube the engine?
thanks,

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://UtilityOffRoad.com

by

Not likely. If in doubt, refer to the Mfr.

You can install a 'pre-lube unit' (applies pressure to the lube system
before start)
-or-
install a switch to interupt the ignition system (crank the starter till oil
pressure comes up, then switch on the ignition to start the engine).

You may also consider an 'oil treatment' such as Slick 50 as they leave a
protective residue and all lubed parts.

Re: cold weather starting - bobcat 250NT

tried calling them earlier but was on hold for longer than i had cell
signal.

this bobcat or miller specific, or are you referencing a generic setup?

thanks,

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://UtilityOffRoad.com
Re: cold weather starting - bobcat 250NT

I was describing a 'generic' setup. Prelubers are used on high performance
motors.

Lots of info: http://tinyurl.com/j9yc7

Re: cold weather starting - bobcat 250NT

yeah im familiar with the prelubers for automobiles.....i hoped you were
referencing a miller specific unit.
thanks, ill give miller a call in the morning.

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://UtilityOffRoad.com
Re: cold weather starting - bobcat 250NT

me
outside
way to
engine by
engine?

If it is water cooled then can you not fit a pre-heater (block heater)
into one of the freeze plug holes? If it is air cooled then there are
ones that strap onto the sump (??oil pan in USA??) to pre-heat  the
oil. At the crudest you could use a 'sump heater' of the type that was
used before anti-freeze was available consisting of a flat paraffin
(??kerosene in USA??) burner with a gauze cover that you sit under the
sump to keep it warm.

AWEM

Re: cold weather starting - bobcat 250NT
If you drive to the work location - why not heat it on the way -
Heater tape and if needed an inverter off the 12v to the 120.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

-

Re: cold weather starting - bobcat 250NT

Frankly (coming from a cold state), I think this issue gets blown out of
proportion - ie, it's an armchair engineering worry more than a
practical engineering problem. Put in Mobil 1 and call it good, if you
are worried about it that much. More than anything, do the oil and
filter changes on schedule.

Given the choice between expensive synthetic oil and not changing on
schedule, and cheap (but still having full API seal, proper ratings,
etc) oil and doing the changes on schedule, I'd bet on the latter method.

Re: cold weather starting - bobcat 250NT

this is what i was thinking, but figured i would ask for clarification.
even at -20 my bobcat fires right up and it revs to set point immediately.
although nobody else can seem to hear it, id swear i hear parts knocking
when it does this.  course, after a lifetime of banging and grinding my ears
arent always honest with me.

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://UtilityOffRoad.com
Re: cold weather starting - bobcat 250NT
I'm from a cold weather state and you ALWAYS give the engine a chance to
get lube flowing before you rev it up!!  In Nathans's case, there should
be an 'idle' or 'low power' throttle setting. Run it on low setting for
a minute or so before going to full throttle. There is no need to run it
at the low setting until it is fully warmed up.

BTW: my definition of cold weather is when you go out to the shed to
grab the chainsaw and the 30 wt oil has turned white and congealed.
Chain saw started and ran fine after we go the bar oil into it.

Re: cold weather starting - bobcat 250NT
ummm, isn't there a throttle lever?????

every skidsteer I have ever seen had a throttle lever. idle for warm
ups, wound out for operators who arent' that good, or are in a hurry.

Re: cold weather starting - bobcat 250NT
ummm, isn't there a throttle lever?????

every skidsteer I have ever seen had a throttle lever. idle for warm
ups, wound out for operators who arent' that good, or are in a hurry.

if nothing else, you will eat the hydro pumps by cavitating them at
full RPM when it is cold. The cold oil won't flow into the pumps fast
enough, the pumps will cavitate, and will get cheweed up in short time.

Re: cold weather starting - bobcat 250NT
This topic is in reference to a Miller Bobcat engine driven portable
welder/generator not a Bobcat skidstear.

My Bobcat welder has a two position throttle switch, one of which goes to an
idle after about 15 seconds of not welding it will stay at idle until there
is a load applied. Idle in this case is about 2/3 full speed.  It's all
electronic and if possible would take some changing of parts on a circuit
board.  Something you'd have to find out from Miller.

It might be possible to crank the engine for a few seconds w/o the choke to
get the oil flowing, then pull the choke out to get the engine started.
Another way might be to short the ignition system while cranking the
starter - probably involving circuit board.   Again, check with Miller

--
J Miller
Re: cold weather starting - bobcat 250NT

same here.  when i initially crank it, it still runs up full rev before
settling down.  this initial hit in the cold is what concerns me.

this is what ive been doing, but at 0 and below the oil is so thick that i
have to wonder if the machine is generating enough pressure to push it
through the tiny ports.
thanks,

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://UtilityOffRoad.com
Re: cold weather starting - bobcat 250NT
Snowmachine oil

Run synthetic

and the best bet is to check with miller theyre form wisconsin they
should have a decent idea of waht some cold is

and people use welders in alaska the north atlantic and the north sea so
i'm sure EXTREME cold is not a new trick for them to deal with

Site Timeline