Comparison Millar Syncrowave 250 DX -V- Lincoln Precision TIG 275

I've searched this newsgroup looking for comparisons and opinions on these two machines, just can't decide which way to go based on their brochures.

My requirement is for a AC/DC TIG for the home workshop, have 3 phase and water close at hand so Inverter not necessary. Combination of Ali and Steel, some stainless, very thin (seam welding car bodies) to fab work about 4mm thick steel and 3mm thick Ali. Would like pulse and Slope control, so optional boards needed in both machines.

If anyone can please point me to any comparisons or provide first hand experience comparing the two I would be very grateful.

Reliability is very important as although the unit may not be used regularly, when I want to do something I don't want to have to wait for it to be fixed, even under warranty.

Tks in advance.

John Allen New Zealand

Reply to
John Allen

An inverter has other benefits to AC TIG welding than power efficiency. It alows you to control the AC output frequency for greater control on aluminum fillet welds.

However a transformer machine is often more cost effective.

I have heard good things about the Lincoln Precisiontig 275, but I do not believe it is superior to the Miller Syncrowave 250DX. I have had my Syncro 250DX for 6 months and it is simply wonderful.

If you plan on seam welding sheet metal you will definitely want the sequencer unit added. All you have to do is put a small contact button on your torch handle to trigger a weld sequence.

It is so liberating to get away from a foot pedal.

I still use the foot pedal for heavy stuff or casting repairs, where you need to vary your amperage often, but for thinwall tubing and sheetmetal the sequencer is a godsend.

The guys i know who fix welding machines prefer the way that Miller builds their machines. They are much easier to diagnose if something goes wrong and the assembly makes more sense.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler