Cracked iron manifold repair

My brother sent me a cracked iron exhaust manifold for a Mazda he wants to sell, but this has to be fixed first. Apparently they all crack, so a used part isn't available. I Magnafluxed it and found the end of the crack, i guess I will drill it and V-grind out the crack, and check it again. I only have a buzz-box, gas, and a mini-mig, so i guess it will have to be a stick weld. I have some 55% Nickle rod marked as machineable, 07235 on the container, but 16071 on the stick. It says no pre-heat required, but i was planning on sticking the manifold in the oven at 500 for a while and then bringing the temp down slow over about 8 hours or so after the weld. Any downside to that? The weld will have to go through a flange for the cat, so it will have to be milled down afterwards. My brother doesn't care if it cracks a week later, but I do. Any recommendations? BTW, I found some sticks marked "Certainium 889". Any idea what they are used for?

--
Paul Calman, Hathaway Pines, California

Pretty much the same thing that 55Ni is used for, as far as I can tell. Spell it "Certanium" and go looking on the web...

It all sounds good. The Certainium is also a Cast Iron rod.

Paul Calman wrote:

I had searched for Certanium 889SP-AC-DC all position cast iron electrode -

Looks like a wonder stick. "AC or DC. Straight or reverse, even with small AC buzz boxes" Unique Flux coating - eliminates porosity by cleaning base metal. Can weld dirty oil soaked castings. ....

Check out this site : http://webapp1.cronatronwelding.com/cronatron/homePage

On the left is the third item down - .... http://webapp1.cronatronwelding.com/cronatron/showLevel4?productClassNumb010200

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn

Thanks, guys. It's always better to ask a possibly foolish question than look foolish later. The certanium rod sounds like I should put it away for something critical, like a transmission case, and use the other stuff on a clean manifold.

--
Paul Calman, Hathaway Pines, California