Cracked iron manifold repair

Threaded View
My brother sent me a cracked iron exhaust manifold for a Mazda he wants to
sell, but this has to be fixed first. Apparently they all crack, so a used
part isn't available.
I Magnafluxed it and found the end of the crack, i guess I will drill it and
V-grind out the crack, and check it again.
I only have a buzz-box, gas, and a mini-mig, so i guess it will have to be a
stick weld.
I have some 55% Nickle rod marked as machineable, 07235 on the container,
but 16071 on the stick. It says no pre-heat required, but i was planning on
sticking the manifold in the oven at 500 for a while and then bringing the
temp down slow over about 8 hours or so after the weld. Any downside to
that?
The weld will have to go through a flange for the cat, so it will have to be
milled down afterwards.
My brother doesn't care if it cracks a week later, but I do.
Any recommendations?
 BTW, I found some sticks marked "Certainium 889".  Any idea what they are
used for?

--
Paul Calman, Hathaway Pines, California

Re: Cracked iron manifold repair

Pretty much the same thing that 55Ni is used for, as far as I can tell.
Spell it "Certanium" and go looking on the web...

Re: Cracked iron manifold repair

It all sounds good.
The Certainium is also a Cast Iron rod.

Re: Cracked iron manifold repair

I had searched for Certanium 889SP-AC-DC all position cast iron electrode -

Looks like a wonder stick.  "AC or DC.  Straight or reverse, even with small AC
buzz boxes"
Unique Flux coating - eliminates porosity by cleaning base metal.  Can weld
dirty oil soaked castings.

Check out this site : http://webapp1.cronatronwelding.com/cronatron/homePage

On the left is the third item down -
http://webapp1.cronatronwelding.com/cronatron/showLevel4?productClassNum=62010200