Crazy idea?

I'm thinking of brazing HSS planer blades onto the blades of my mower to get a better cut (obviously with suitable grinding to provide a suitable mounting area at the correct angle).

Crazy?

Reply to
Pete C.

RoyJ

Sounds like it will definitely give you a FLAT yard. Something I've had trouble with. Let me know how it works.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

While there are a lot of little rocks and junk in the soil, they aren't generally an issue. The biggest issue is some high tree roots and fallen branches to mow over.

Reply to
Pete C.

They'll probably just break when they hit something.

I've always been able to keep a set of mower blades sharp for at least a few mowing sessions; if you really care (and if it's easy to change blades) just get an extra blade set or two so you can swap in a hurry and sharpen at leisure.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Before I did that I'd build up the cutting edges with some hard surfacing material. My OEM blades for the IH Cub Cadet deck have a 1/4" or so of low grade carbide on the cutting edges, makes a big difference.

I build up the cutting edges of my snowblowers and snow shovels. About a

5x to 10x improvement > I'm thinking of brazing HSS planer blades onto the blades of my mower to
Reply to
RoyJ

.> Depends on how many rocks you have in your yard.

Ya, I hate when the wife hits those rocks while mowing, guess I'll have to teach her how to sharpen the blade! :-) Mike

Reply to
amdx

Yup, ever hit a staple with a planer blade? Same thing will happen, only in spades, when you hit a rock. Also, if the stuff cracks and lets loose, you'll have a very nice missile to have whack into someone or something. Get another set of blades, keep the spares sharp and change them out before they get to the place where they're just rounded bars, with or without notches. I find I can usually get a good edge on a blade in less than 5 minutes with the belt grinder, including balancing, if I do it frequently enough.

Stan

Reply to
stans4