Dallas gas supply explosion

(courtesy of Dave in rec.crafts.metalworking)

Awesome footage of a welding gas supply company going up in smoke.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Holy cats! It just goes on and on.

Can't wait for hydrogen powered cars.

Reply to
RogerW

Each time I watch it, I see something new flying. There's so much going on, you can't catch it all in one sitting.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Just saw it on the TV as well .

Printed a copy out for our welding supplier.

Mart>

Martin H. Eastburn

The TV report down here - 250 miles away I suppose - said the bottles were all piped together. Once one went all will follow.

Hum - wonder were the flame retard or anti-flashback units were... Auto-cutoff...

I read a screamer in the paper article - the Chemical safety group will be there in 2 or 3 weeks !!! Must be summer vacation or something...

Mart>> >>>

Martin H. Eastburn

Just think - Gas stations down the Interstate. More down each US Highway. More in town.

And they have been trying to kick out propane companies from city limits... :-)

I suppose, H2 will be used to generate H2O - for water and we will suffocate once the Oxygen is used up. :-)

Martin

Mart> >>

Martin H. Eastburn

Reply to
mkzero

Water bombers are not common - California ran them out of the state due to expense. Now the planes are better and are only in the north and north west.

Consider water drop by helicopter or plane ? Did you see the tanks blowing up and landing anywhere they wanted ? Just like ground fire.

There are helicopters that can dump foam and trucks that can do that, but they are allocated to cover other areas at all times. A fire department Battalion chief can't shut down DFW for a welding supply - There are levels of government. Air National Guard might have something but they are likely allocated already in a dry region of the world.

Most fires of dangerous materials are left to burn. Often the incineration of the source is safer than letting it run on the ground or fill the air in a cloud. Some are not that way and those are attacked.

Mart> >> Just think - Gas stations down the Interstate. More down

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

"mkzero" wrote

They were there out of range of flying debris until it stopped exploding. A smart thing to do, unlike the moron in the black truck that stopped where the tanks were falling on the freeway. I really wanted to see one land square on his truck just to serve him right.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Reply to
mkzero

No issue on background knowledge - but watching movies for 50+ years and fire is in so many of them - with heroes doing this and that one notices the planes known as bombers are low flyer's at tree top or just above or below. Many come back with green on the wings showing a close drop.

Martin

Mart> >> Water bombers are not common - California ran them out of the state

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

There was a woman that left her car and ran down the street. The mind doesn't function when all heck is breaking out. It is like - I suspect - a city bombing without warning. Martin

Mart> "mkzero" wrote

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

"mkzero" wrote

Think about it. It's July. A liquid dropped from a medium altitude would reach the ground as a fine mist. I think it's an effective forest fire fighting technique because it can be dropped at low altitudes accurately and reach the ground before it all turns to small droplets.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Not to mention those morons who were trying to get closer for a better look.

I once saw a police situation. A man had a gun, and the police were called. They came. It was a straight line something like this: three police officers, one with a shotgun, the suspect, some oleander bushes, and a bystander who went straight into the line of fire behind the bushes "to get a better look." Were it not for the presence of the "innocent bystander", I am pretty sure they would have shot the suspect. They were yelling for both of them to lay down. The suspect did, and was cuffed. The "innocent bystander" (Kenny, the local dummy) acted like the police weren't even there. The third officer of the three ran past the bushes and hit the "innocent bystander" harder than I have ever seen "Refrigerator" Perry hit anyone, slamming him to the ground.

Big lawsuit by "innocent bystander." Court ruled that when the bystander chose to ignore the situation, intentionally put himself in the line of fire, and failed to heed police commands, that the police had no obligation to treat him as anything but a dangerous person. I knew the guy from the neighborhood, and it was just Kenny being Kenny. Kenny is a big dumb ass who just "had" to get a closer look.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB