Threaded View
when should i use each with stick on mild steel ?

is it thin sheet DCRP and heavey plate DCSP ?

why do i want heat in the rod with DCRP ? is this for shielding purposes ?

Something that helped me remember is the + and - thing.  Positive + (more)
means more penetration.  - (less) Negative means less penetration.  Second
thing ......... Straight Stinger Negative ........ I think of SSN (social
security number) ........... Straight Stinger Negative to keep the confusion
of   +, -, straight, and reverse straight in my mind.  DCSP (DC Straight
Polarity) = Straight Stinger Negative, and the REVERSE (DC Reverse Polarity)
is the other one (positive).

In a positive electrode, the arc goes away + from you, digging into the
metal.  In a negative electrode, the arc comes toward - you, melting the
rod.  In thick stuff, you want to melt the thick stuff.  On thin stuff, you
want the rod to melt.

The thicker (think +) the material, the more likely you will use stinger
positive +.

The thinner (think -) the material, the more likely to use a negative -

This is only a general rule, and not absolute.  But it helped me to get the
jumble of "polarity" straightened out in MY mind until it became more
familiar to me.

Site Timeline