Did something nice to my welder today

My welder always had a very awful fan. Very noisy and it vibrated a lot, like a gas engine. It was very annoying as I would not hear anything with the machine on, which was a safety issue besides inconvenience.

I took it out today, cut out a round hole in the grille in the back (I can explain) and bolted on a 10" Comair Rotron Caravelle fan. This fan has NO vibration, it is about 10x quieter, and takes up a lot less space inside the welder. A true joy to have.

I used to disconnect the fan, which I could only afford if the welder was open and I maintained a low duty cycle, but now I can finally properly ventilate the welder and work without duty cycle restrictions, with the welder properly closed. My air flow is approximately what it was with the old fan.

Ignoramus6369

Is it just me, or is there some innuendo in that title?

Glad you got the fan sorted out. I had a fan like that in my computer. My main computer, so it was really annoying. In the end I peeled off the label in the centre of the fan, oiled the ball race, and glued the label back on. It's been silent ever since.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I have a fan like that in my printer. I will vacuum it, if it does not help I will swap the fan.

Ignoramus1012

I don't know if vacuuming will help or not. I suspect not, because I think the problem is a lack of lubrication rather than dirt. Two or three drops of light oil has always worked for me.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy