Does duty cycle increase the lower you run the welder?

I don't really know my terminology here, but I'm trying to learn as much as possible before plugging my Thunderbolt 225AC in. I believe the Thunderbolt 225AC is a 20% duty cycle machine at max amps. If I plug into the 30-150 "socket" on the machine or weld at a lower amperage on the 40-225 "socket", does my duty cycle % increase?

Reply to
Frank Johnson

info from the miller website

>I don't really know my terminology here, but I'm trying to learn as

Reply to
acrobat-ants

Yes, the duty cycle increases as the welding current is decreased. If you looked at the duty cycle chart referenced by acrobat-ants

("... info from the miller website

look on page 5tru 7 it talks about duty cycle."

you might notice that the graph uses a logarithmic axis rather than a linear axis. There is a formula for calculating the duty cycle at any operating current if the factory duty cycle rating is known (which is almost always listed by the manufacturer). The formula is as follows:

A = (S/I)^2 x R

where: A = adjusted duty cycle at desired welding current (%) S = specified current at rated duty cycle (amps) I = desired (or actual) welding current (amps) R = factory rated duty cycle (i.e. at current S) (%)

note that the ^2 stands for squared

(I am using non-conventional symbols here because I think it is easier than using subscripts for this text)

For the example machine which is rated at 20% duty cycle at 225 amps, the question is what is calculated duty cycle at 150 amps. Using the above formula, the numbers work out as follows:

A = (225/150)^2 x 20 A = (1.5)^2 x 20 A = 2.25 x 20 A = 45 %

Note that this results matches the graph figure from the above referenced miller manual.

The advantage of knowing or using this formula is that you only need to know the factory duty cycle rating to calculate what you want (i.e. you don't need to find the manufacturer's manual and hope they have a duty cycle chart).

For a second example, suppose that you want to use your machine at a current higher than the current listed for the duty cycle? Suppose your machine is rated at 60% duty cycle at 150 amps but you want to use it at 175 amps? Using the formula, this works out as follows:

A = (150/175)^2 x 60 A = (0.857)^2 x 60 A = 0.735 x 60 A = 44%

Hope this helps

Reply to
Tom Doody