DRILL DOCTOR Grinds tungsten electrodes

I posted a message last night about how tungsten electrodes were hard on regular grinding wheels. I was looking at various expensive tools, diamond bits that did not quite fit anything that I had, etc.

Finally I realized that I already have a diamond grinding tool, a drill doctor (model 750, IIRC). It has a little diamond grinding wheel that is normall yused for sharpening drill bits.

I tried sharpening a tungsten electrode in it and it was completely easy, painless, did not require me to press it hard against the wheel, and took me very little time.

It's nice to know that I do not need to buy anything new.

Ignoramus6433

I have the 3/4" also - mostly for saving broken bits - now tungsten. Oh boy. Have to build a station near the Tig machine.

Ignoramus6433 wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I do have a grinding station on wheels. It is very nice. I drag it out to more advantageous areas for certain kinds of grinding.

Ignoramus6433

Are you getting the right taper on that?

I've found a cordeless dremel and a diamond wheel to be the simplest way to do it. A jig is easily made up for the dremel if you need one.

Reply to
cl

Well, ground electrodes would look just like pencils, like Ernie said they should.

Well, my drill doctor is, in essense, fixed dremel in a jig.

Ignoramus27736

Is yours fixed at 118 or 135 degress or is it adjustable?

This is wha I think of when mentioning of a pencil like look, much sharper than 135deg

Reply to
cl

It is adjustable, but you misunderstood.

I do not use the adaptor (collet) for sharpening drill bits when sharpening my tungsten electrodes.

I simply use the drill doctor as a diamond wheel rotating at high speed.

I hold the electrode in my hands, insert it into a big opening. That opening is used for aligning drill bits in DD collets. With the collet removed, it is about 1" diameter window. Insert the electrode into that window, adjust its position by hand, and grind it.

Basically, think about a dremel tool that's being held in a vice. I use DD as I would use that dremel, only it is more conveniently packaged for electrode grinding, and contains dust to a little better extent. It is actually nice. It feels like an expensive tool.

If only my TIG welds were as good as DD is for sharpening electrodes...

Ignoramus27736

I assumed you were using the DD with the drill bit holder. My mistake. In normal use with the holder can you adjust it to angles other than 118 and 135?

The cool thing about the lithium dremel is that it has a flat bottom so it sit flat and you can use your legs to stabilize it.

Reply to
cl

I do not think so. Frankly, I just used one setting so far. I think that I can choose between the two and that's all.

Very nice.

Ignoramus27736