Dual gas tanks for Millermatic 251 with 30a Spoolgun

I just got my 251 and am getting ready to hook up my two bottles (C25 & Argon). Since the 30a spoolgun plugs right into the welder, I thought there would also be two gas inputs. Nope. Just one.

I assume that I just plug the spoolgun's hose directly to the bottle. Aesthetically, this will look odd with the long hose extending from the front of the welder to the bottle. Is this the way it is meant to go? I don't see anything in the directions to cover this, but I assume this is right.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Meyer

Jim, I also just bought a 30A and scrathed my head on this one. What I did (or doing) is to put a Tweco quick disconnect on the power cord and something like a oxy/acet. quick disconnect on the hose going to the Argon bottle. This lets me easily disconnect the 30a when not using it. I am also building a bracket that will hold the two bottles on the rear of the machine. Miller makes a $150 2 bottle bracket but it makes the machine too wide to fit in the place I want to keep it. I had thought that I would snake the new gas hose through the machine and out the back to make it look a little better, but decided that the quick disc would work better for me. I have a 250MP. Still looks a little odd, but only when I'm using the spoolgun. Randy

Randy Ray

Correct. The spoolgun gas line goes directly to the flowgauge

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Hello Randy,

I see your idea about wanting to fully disconnect the 30a from the welder. It's a lot a cords and hoses with both guns hooked up. What about the ground? I guess that is a quick turn of the wrench to disconnect that one since it has the nut clamped down in the welder the with ground clamp. Also, I would imagine you would want to plug up both ends of the disconnected Argon line so it doesn't get any of the crap floating around the shop. Aluminum seems to contaminate easily.

I like your idea of building the two bottle carrier. It doesn't look very hard. Mine came with it and it really does make it a wide beast. Ugly, hose tangled beast. Pretty Blue though...

Take care, Jim

Reply to
Jim Meyer

Thanks Ernie. I'm looking forward to trying my hand at some Aluminum welding this weekend.

Clean weld area with SS brush, push gun.into weld, snip ball after every stop. This is my weekend mantra.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Meyer