E 7016 electrode

Threaded View

I have some E 7016 electrodes and need to refresh why I got them.
Have looked on the internet and not found anything that clearly
explains what they are at least in terms of why one would choose them.

 I know they are a low hydrogen rod sort of simular to E 7018 but
without the iron powder in the flux.  So I am thinking one might  use
them where you would use E 7018 , but where you have to start and stop
a lot.  That is they may be a lot easier to restart than E 7018.

While asking about electrodes............  I have not found anything
on the internet about Nassau Polaris 18 electrodes.  Can find Nassau
and Polaris,  but nothing about Polaris 18.

Dan

Re: E 7016 electrode

It creates less fumes.

Re: E 7016 electrode

7016's will run on AC.  All the properties of a Basic
(limestone-based) flux welding rod and you can run it on a simple
robust hard-working AC welding transformer.  Obviously, they run
perfectly on DC too.

If I remember rightly - 7016's have less slag than 7018's so are
better for some root-run and positional welding.  I believe that for
welding oil-rigs for the North Sea in the 1970's a special low-slag
7016 was developed to make root-running to code quality manageable.

Don't know why you don't hear of 7015 (low-slag no-iron-powder Basic
electrode), when it isn't a problem for 7018's that only run on DC
(some exceptions?).

Richard Smith

Re: E 7016 electrode

Probably because the average user's repertoire consists of 6 varieties of
electrodes.  Tops.  Many fewer than that.  So, unless you get into those
exotic situations, you will never in your life even see one of the exotic
rods.

Steve

Re: E 7016 electrode

snip

I submit that there are really only two varieties, they are those that are
free (or near free, like trade for other low value 'stuff") and those that
require an exchange of real (?) money.  The free ones (can) work for most
everything we do, and the others should be reserved for critical or actual
(real money) paying work.

If you are near where any real work is being done then a lot of 'stuff'
falls off trucks.

When free, even exotics can be made to do quite simple work.

Never throw anything away, a real tradesman can always 'make do' with what
they have available.

Just my .02, YMMV

Re: E 7016 electrode

And very well said!

Gunner

Re: E 7016 electrode

My observation is that if you throw it away, you will need exactly that in
three days or less.  It has happened enough times that now it's gospel, and
my wife is accusing me of being a hoarder.  But yet, she doesn't mind when I
come up with something from "The Sanford Yard" (as she calls it) to use
instead of going to that horribly expensive steel supplier.  Picked up 800'
2.5" electrical underground PVC today for free.  Plus eight sweeps.  Now I
can wire my shop/container area.

steve

Re: E 7016 electrode

Bravo Sir..bravo indeed!!!

Re: E 7016 electrode

 Picked up 800'

Forgot to mention, it was FREE.

Re: E 7016 electrode

http://bhelectrodes.com/bnh7016.html

Re: E 7016 electrode

B & H-7016 is a medium coated basic type hydrogen controlled electrode
producing a tough and ductile weldmetal.
*     Ease of operation in all positions.
*     Smooth and stable arc which is easy to strike and restrike.
*     Easy deslagging.
*     Finally ripped bead with regular profile.
*     X-ray quality welds.
*     Weldmetal possess excellent mechanical properties and is highly
resistant to cracking.

Thanks,  I had looked at the Lincoln and Miller web sites , but did
not find anything that explained why one would choose 7016.  I think I
must have gotten these rods after using some 7018 where the beads were
very short and the material was thick( requiring many restrikes )
Either that or I got them at Boeing Surplus  8-) after they were
chucked for being exposed to humidity.

=20
Dan

Re: E 7016 electrode

The MSDS for the Polaris 18 electrode is listed on Rockmount Nassau=92s
website: http://www.rockmountnassau.com/msds1.html , but it doesn=92t
provide more detail.  Maybe it=92s a discontinued product.  They have an
800 number, so maybe a call to them will answer your question about
its applications..

Re: E 7016 electrode

Hey Dan,

I just happened to find about them in a downloadable pipe welding manual at
Lincoln website.  A little late but remembered this thread.  It seems they
are for root passes in pipe using low hydrogen electrode.  Usually it seems
cellulosic electrode is for root pass.  Though this is for a more strong
than the weakest pipes it seems.  No 7018 in this section of the literature.
Try one and see if it isn't a deep penetrating or fast freezing low hydrogen
electrode.
quote
Low Hydrogen Electrodes for Pipe Welding
Lincoln 16P (E7016)
Specially designed for vertical up welding of pipe. The thin coating of
the 3/32" (2.4 mm) size allows for its use in root pass welding. Can be used
in grades X-52 through X-65. Because of its unique burn-off
characteristics, it is recommended for welding of open joint gaps.

Fran

Re: E 7016 electrode

snip

Sounds like a good read,  PLEASE POST A LINK.

TIA

Re: E 7016 electrode

this link is on the page or a page about their version of 6010 or 5P
http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/c2410.pdf

then you find this text
which seems to paste real tiny buy maybe you have all your newsgroups in
plain text so it is normal.
For vertical up and vertical down pipe welding technique,

request Lincoln bulletin C2.420, Welding Pressure Pipelines.

upon putting C2.420 into their search box I highlighted this text out of one
of the results and pasted it in.

http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/c2420.pdf

 What I copied straddles pages 32 and 33

I would expect using the basic technique you could amass quite a few similar
pdf files in a folder which are much easier to find than figuring out how
you found it last night.  one might experiment with changing the numbers
like 2410 and 2420 and see what you get.

Fran

Re: E 7016 electrode

Lots of good information (but could use a little proof-reading).
Thanks for posting the link.

Re: E 7016 electrode

"Low slag" Basic so weld down in narrow groove isn't being choked with slag?
In narrow groove - don't need a lot of slag to shield and shape weld bead?

Rich S.

Re: E 7016 electrode

7016 welding rod is used for welding metal deck on to metal beams / arch spot
weld or puddle welds start and stop welding thousands per floor.
High rise buildings / metal building construction.

Re: E 7016 electrode

Most Deck rod is 6022.

Re: E 7016 electrode

7016's used at least here in Europe for root-running.  7016 thin flux = low
slag which is not a problem in the root and prevents your root will not
choke on vast amounts of slag.
As I understand it and as seems right from practice.

Site Timeline