Ernie's Notching Grinder

Elsewhere I see Ernie Leimkuhler's use of a right angle grinder to grind the sides of tubing in forming a fishmouth joint.

I have in the past inverted my circular saw, mounted it under a heavy sheet of plywood and allowed the blade to protrude making a very unsafe tablesaw. I'm wondering if I can use that circular saw to hold a grinding disk and get Ernie's results.

Anyone know if grinding disks can be mounted on a circular saw arbor and if there are safety issues? I know they make abrasive cut-off disc for circular saws ... - Mike

Reply to
mhorowit

I have mounted masonry cutting discs and also metal cutting discs in my table saw. In my case I was cutting some 1/16th stainless material. It was slow and noisy. I am sure you could cut tubing with such a set-up however: 1 there is no guard around your disc. 2. Any accidental twisting could shatter the disc. 3. The dust will feed under your table/plywood into your motor. 4. The motor speed and arbor size should be appropriate for the cutting/grinding disc. The worst thing that can happen is a disc failure but if you are standing to the side, wearing gloves and a faceshield you have a fair chance. I clamp my pipes in a vise or to a table and use an angle grinder to shape. It is much more convenient. Randy

I have in the past inverted my circular saw, mounted it under a heavy sheet of plywood and allowed the blade to protrude making a very unsafe tablesaw. I'm wondering if I can use that circular saw to hold a grinding disk and get Ernie's results.

Anyone know if grinding disks can be mounted on a circular saw arbor and if there are safety issues? I know they make abrasive cut-off disc for circular saws ... - Mike

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

I think you're correct. angle grinder is in the mail - MIke

Reply to
Michael Horowitz