fighting arc blow

Since Randy Z tipped me to the concept that I was getting arc blow, I looked into it, and it sure makes sense. Jeez, you'd think the instructors at school would recognize arc blow problems in the test plate structures they see welded every day. Anyway, after scratching my head for awhile about how to deal with it (can't switch to AC, have to use 7018 DC for this test) I am cobbling up 2 mag ground clamps in a Y fitting, each the same distance from the center of the Y. I'll grab the center of the Y with the regular ground clamp and put one mag clamp on each side of the vee. To first order, that /should/ make the arc blow forces cancel, according to the physics I dimly remember.

Will post results, if significant.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

A copper plate underneath makes a good cheat sometimes if you have a problem section blowing out. I learned it in Hill-Billy 101 and it really works.

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL. Long Beach, CA.

Reply to
RDF

Doing a dance and sacrificing a chicken might work:'))) Arc blow can be frustrating. I found putting the ground clamp so that I was welding towards it helped. That's why I like to have my backing bars an inch or two long at both ends. It leaves a place to clamp on to. I think the worst is getting arc blow when trying to do an open root on a Vee butt joint. You can see it happening and you know that one side is just not fusing no matter how you point the rod. Lets hope for you that all these little trying experiences happen while you are practising. With luck there won't be anything left to challenge you when testing out. Randy

Will post results, if significant.

GWE

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

I made up my little dual ground jig and it worked PERFECTLY! I ran my first clean overhead root pass just now. Happy, happy.

I like to document such moments in my life -- writing is something I seem afflicted with, kind of like metalworking. Anyway, if you're curious, visit

to see my solution.

Grant Erw> Doing a dance and sacrificing a chicken might work:')))

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Congradulations!! Great to see someone figuring out what causes a problem and then coming up with a realistic solution.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMkirkland.net

Granted, this may be a bit late but, noteworthy none-the-less. There is no other frustrating moment like arc-blow when testing for your bread and butter. You could stop in the middle of an overhead open root to adjust the ground clamp and risk a fracture or, you can spin the rod.

If you notice what happens in arc-blow, you see one side of the rod peel which actually aids the arc-blow. If you hold the stinger with your finger tips while testing, you can spin the rod 360 degrees, any way neccessary to fight it. You get the job and keep your dignity too!

Randy Gross, aaawelder

Reply to
Randy Gross

One solution to arc blow:

Wrap your ground cable around the work once or twice with space between the wraps.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB