flame sprayer?

I was asked to go through a recently deceased fellows shop a couple weeks ago by the surviving family member, and have been catagorizing and whatnot some of the Stuff. He was a retired electrician/handyman/hobbyist and had a rather eclectic mix of Stuff.

She told me I could take what I wanted..and that to a Scrounger...was pure music.

Among some of the goodies I schleped home today (not counting the mint Trans-Oceanic Royal D7000 and the Pentax ME Super) was a rather interesting tool box..designed to be wall mounted...containing a wierd looking O/A type torch and 7 bottles of some sorts of metal powders, along with various bottles of fluxes.

Unfortunately..the manuals and data cards (all neatly in their proper racks..are stuck together..so I may have to try to steam them apart.

Im assuming this is for flame spraying of various metal coatings?

Full bottle of

Cuprotec 10180

Borotec 10009

Nitec 10224

Bronzochrome 10186

Bronzochrome 10185 (half full)

Chrometec 10680 (only a little left)

about a half bottle of powder inside the box itself..something spilled.

What do I have, and how do I use it? It would be nice to be able to build up worn things such as shafts and so forth. I do have an OD grinder.

Any info would be appreciated

Gunner pondering a nifty pistol designed to throw a string some distance...report later

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

About 25 years ago, I witnessed a demonstration of a Eutectic device for applying powder coating via a specialized O/A torch.

While the emphasis of the demo was the application of an impact-resistant powder, ISTR the demonstrator (a Eutectic salescritter named Tarpley) stating that the device could also be used to apply plating powders.

From the names that you posted, you may have something similar.

If it is similar to the one that I saw demoed, the torch will have a fitting for a canister (like a small HVLP spray gun's) about midway down its length to take the powder. Used with a reducing (not illuminating) flame, the powder is siphoned into the gas flow, melted in the flame, and the molten "mist" sprayed onto the surface. (The one I saw demoed could be hand-held but was intended to be mounted to a fixture in a lathe's toolholder for use on a spinning object.)

Reply to
RAM³

Gunner, I think you may have a "Eutectic " brand torch and powders for building up worn shafts. I bought on a long time ago when I was Plant Engineer at a brewery in a country that didn't have much infrastructure. They also made one for building up flat surfaces as well. The shafts were chucked in an old lathe( the stuff is pretty abrasive and preheated with just the flame to about 400 deg F. Then the powder was applied by the opening a valve on the gun. It reacted in the flame and stuck to the shaft quite well. we had one power that was a beauty for building up shafts that ran in packed glands. It was hard as hell so wore really well. The flat surface build up gun worked in a similar manner except that the powder was heated after it was applied so that it flowed like a solder. It to, worked well for some applications.

you might Google for the manufacturers name . They are usually quite helpful. They make their fortune by selling the powder. It was expensive stuff!

Tom

Reply to
Tom Miller

I have to agree its probably a Eutetic -Castolin flame spray torch. I used ot use one quite a bit many years ago. It was super to be able to chuck up a shaft or say an armature from a electric motor etc in a lathe, put it on low spindle speed, and after applying the masking powder, to keep it from adhering to whrere you did not want it, start flame spraying the mealic powders to suit the application and buikld up those scars and gouges etc on the item, then turn it down to size. I worked very well. I ueven used it to apply hard facing material to hammers used to grind tobacco . Check out Eutetic-Castolin...

Reply to
Roy

Get it all working to your satisfaction, I will be sending stuff to coat!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yup..the brand name on everything is Eutectic. I found the stuff on Ebay..looks like the torch is a B model.

Based on the prices..looks like I scored pretty good.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

There are several on Ebay at the moment.

Im still thinking about Ohio, even got out the maps. Hows the hunting?

Think we could tag team the buttheads?

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

Based upon the prices in the mid-70s you scored Very Good!

Here's hoping that the consumables are still available - if so, you may have just gained a totally invaluable tool for your business!

Reply to
RAM³

20 minutes in any direction from Cleveland. (except North) Lots of friends hunt waterfowl, deer and such. I hunt at the butcher shop, it seems there is no season on my favorite critters...cows and pigs. Fishing is great, walleye, smallies ect.
Reply to
Tom Gardner

On the day of Sun, 05 Mar 2006 08:12:54 GMT... Gunner typed these letters:

I don't know about the other stuff but I do have that same trans-ocenaic Royal D7000 radio and a Pentax Super ME camera around here somewhere.

The radio is here...

Devonshire

According to Gunner :

The technique used by serious libraries to fix wet antique books is to:

1) Freeze them in liquid nitrogen or dry ice (whichever you can get, which will do a proper quick freeze, so the ice crystals will separate the pages. 2) While keeping it cold, pull a good vacuum on it, so the ice will sublime (go from solid to gas without becoming liquid again.

To this, you would have to add a preliminary soaking, so there would be water between the pages to form the ice.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Thats the one. (the link says 10 batts..its only got 9..8 are for operation..one for the little flip out light next to the tuning dial.

Ive already discovered you need an external antenna for any band besides FM. Which is rather odd. And the manual (came with the original manual and ear piece) sorta glossed over it.

The ME works though the batteries need changing. Shutter was pretty sticky, but it works fine now after 50 or so releases. I think..think Ive got some Pentax screw mount lens in one of the camera bags

Ive a couple or 3 Canon A-1s that Ive been using for years..along with a couple manual Canons..all of which have the Canon bayonet mount..but remember scrounging some scew mounts years ago and getting adapters for screw to Canon bayonet.

Oh..the Line-Gun is interesting. I believe it uses CO2 cartridge to carry a string..Got lots of string spools, no cartridges. When you c*ck it..and pull the trigger..a piston with a spike on the end slams forward into the center of a holder and apparently pieces the ass end of the CO2 cartridge..which is tied to the bobbin of string and launches the entire CO2 cartridge. Seems like it would pinwheel badly..but maybe the string acts as a tail...

In the same tool box was a SHITLOAD of .22 blanks for nail guns and a half shitload of .25 blanks for what I think is Hilti..

Now I got to scrounge a power activated nail gun....

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

SAVED!! Ive got a vaccum pump somewhere around here..no container..but Ill think of something

Thanks!

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner

According to Gunner :

[ ... ]

Pick up a bell jar and plate from an eBay auction?

Let me know how it works for you. I've been told that it even will separate a deck of soaked playing cards, but I've never tried it yet. I've got a vacuum jar which I could use for it, if I got something worth chasing down some liquid nitrogen for -- now that I don't work where it is used daily. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I believe those were used for puting a pulling line in conduit. At least I observed that being done at the Frankford Arsnell (sp?) in Philly back in the dim dark past. I was working there with an acoustic target system and the folks puled our target wires through about several hundred feet of conduit with 4 or 5 elbows in it with a device that sounds just like that. C O2 cartridge and a string. :-) ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Cool - I can lay down a 300' tube from the house to a yard light and jet fire the line down the tube. Beats dropping a weight and pulling up the tube...... walking it down the line. A bit dangerous - but possible. Building an interface gun is a bit of work - but done before on a pistol crossbow. That was in walnut. :-)

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Lew Hartswick wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Reply to
Glenn

I love my Hilti DX36M, particularly the variable pressure feature so you can use the red loads for most everything.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.