Foot pedal pot

Well , this sucks , but not too too bad . Seems there was a stop bolt missing on my foot pedal , and I didn't realize it . End result is that I damaged the wipers in the 47k control pot inside . A quick look at ebay didn't turn up what I want , so I thoughtI'd ask here . This is a long shaft pot , 47k ohms with a center tap wiper . I don't know for sure but seems likely it's a linear taper . I'm guessing this might be found at Radio Shack , at least back in the day it would . Any sources that will carry this item ? I'd kinda like to get a couple , since I've read about them wearing out . I can repair this if I have to , but no telling if the resistance values will be as original when I get done . For now I can use the "2T/4T" function , but it's hard to weld aluminum without control of the amps ... though by adjusting the start/end amps and ramp rate I can get some control .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Shaft size? Mounting? Diameter of pot?

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Shaft is 6mm x 50 mm long , body is 28 mm dia , thru panel mount . The only markings on the case are "TH-1" with "47KA" immediately under , no idea what tolerance . . I've been poking around , some have used a 50k pot instead , along with an 800k resistor parallelled with the outside terminals . Those who didn't use the 800k resistor found their low end amps higher . I haven't checked yet , but there should be a +5v connected to one end of the pot , other end grounded , wiper is control voltage to the machine . RS here has a 50k pot instock , but the shaft is shorter . Looks like a job for the lathe . Might be kinda handy being able to just drop in an off-the-shelf item ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Poked around a bit at mouser , haven't looked at digikey yet . Thanks for the reminder .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Any electronic house will carry that pot. If you must buy online..Digikey is my first choice

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Reply to
Ignoramus27236

On 08/08/13 04:50, Terry Coombs wrote: [...]

The "A" means logarithmic taper.

Tolerance is pretty irrelevant here, anything will do.

I've been poking around , some have used a 50k pot

Will this do?

If really stuck you can buy shaft extensions.

-- Peter Fairbrother

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Peter , if that pot had a metal shaft ... and thanks for decoding that number , I'd have bought a linear taper pot . Used to mess around with electronics back when I was young , but a lot has been forgotten from disuse .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

My thanks to all who responded . I have a pair from Digikey coming in the mail - figgered a spare might be a good idea . I guess I oughta call Everlast today and thump on them a bit for the missing limit bolt . Had that been there this wouldn't have happened .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

20 days from arrival to the first failure... "Everlast"... Hmmm...
Reply to
Pete C.

Pete , this is as much my fault as anybody's , I should have realized there should be a limit stop on that pedal . It didn't fail until I got frustrated and romped down hard on the pedal and overtraveled the pot . In any case , it's a cheap fix , got 2 of them coming in the mail for less than

10 bucks . . In every other respect I'm happy with the machine - someday my skills will be up to the capabilities it has . I've got a lot of learning to do .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

If those everlast welders had various protections, and high quality components, designed for daily use etc, with professional engineers, they may end up costing as much as a Miller!

Ignoramus27236

Iggy , I suspect that before long they will . Theyre using high end IGBT's , and the quality of the visible components is as good as my neighbor's Miller Dynasty . Control pots on the front of the machine are smooth , plugs are as nice as any I've seen . I think these are going to be like the >$10 digital multimeter I bought a few months ago that is now selling on ebay for over a hundred bucks . I seem to recall a loose bolt in the box , I wondered at the time where it came from . Now I know ... at least this lesson was cheap . I've been using the "2T" function on the torch today . Makes it a bit harder especially with aluminum since I can't direcly control the amps . Not so bad on SS , it doesn't get heat soaked like aluminum does . A "real weldor" might do better , but it's all about the learning curve right now for me . And I actually did some almost-decent welds today ... at least they'll be good enough for the shelf they'll be supporting !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Terry, I am just wondering, did you per chance actually look at those IGBTs, do they really say SIEMENS on them? (not that fake IGBTs could not, but I wonder if You saw the IGBTs)

Ignoramus27236

I haven't actually opened the case and looked ... but they're pretty open about their claims and I can't believe they'd make them if they weren't true . There is a maintainance cycle which includes opening the case to clean dust and such out . I'll verify at that time ... unless it starts preying on my mind , which it probably will , since I'm kinda slack at the moment . My goal for today was to get the angle braces for the "wife shelf" welded to the L bracket and get the brackets mounted . Met half my goal ... they ain't pretty , but they ain't gonna come loose at 65MPH on the I-5 ... Tomorrow I'll get them hung and the boards cut and in place and screwed down .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

They may believe them to be true, but that may still be counterfit.

Even some big name cumputer companies have had to chase down fake parts when their contract manufacturer used an "unapproved" distributor to meet a deadline.

--Glenn Lyford

Reply to
Glenn Lyford

I called Everlast this morning , explained what happened . Got an email a few minutes ago saying that a new pot is on the way . Might even beat the ones I ordered from Digikey .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Good to hear there is some level of manufacturer support.

Reply to
Pete C.

Digikey units arrived saturday , one is installed and working perfectly . I was a bit concerned , the original has 270 deg rotation , the new one has

300 . Just needed to adjust the stop bolt , all is well and I get full output at full throttle . I love it when things work out this well !!
Reply to
Terry Coombs