Gas tank transporting

Would it be proper to transport acetylene tanks vertically, and oxygen and inert gas tanks horizontally? (with ALL CAPS on, of course).

Reply to
Ignoramus13094

RoyJ

Yep. Thanks.

Ignoramus13094

Boy, you guys have things different down there. In Canada, well maybe just Ontario (I don't know), we used to be able to transport laying down only if the valve was to the tailgate and the cylinder secured from rolling. Too many people had the valve to the cab and there was a perceved threat of the tank rocketing out of the box if the valve was to be knocked off. In an effort to make it "fool-proof" we now have to keep the cylinders upright and secured and the cap on. Changed about 10 years ago or so and can't quote the act right now but it was part of the "Transportation of Dangerous Goods" course we had to take at work. Full or empty, they have to be upright in my neck of the woods.

Reply to
Gordie

Securing the tanks and having the caps on properly is the important part.

The acetylene can go horizontal as well, as long as you leave it standing vertical for a while before you use it. There is nothing magic about vertical as far as transport goes, if it's horizontal some liquid acetone will get into the valve and when you let it rest in the vertical position it will drain back down. Any last drops will be blown out when you clear the valve prior to attaching the regulator.

Reply to
Pete C.

I lay mine down, strap them down, and put the butt end foreward.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

About 14 years ago they tried to make everybody go legit in Washington State. Everybody, no matter who you were, had to have DOT hazard placards for all gas transportation, and all the welding suppliers had to fill out shipping manifests for all gas cylinders.

Lasted about 2 years before it was shown to be a massive waste of tax dollars just filing all the damn paperwork.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I did that a couple of weeks ago in my mercedes staion wagon, and had my wife exchange the bottles when she went to town. No danger to me at all! I have heard to stand up the Acetylene bottle for at least 12 hours befor using

Reply to
Stupendous Man

I would check the regulations in your area, here in NY tanks usually must be vertical, an aquaintence was cited by the DOT/State Police for transporting tanks horizontally. BTW I Have a CDL with Haz Mat

Reply to
CHUCKB

As always, depends on who sees you.

Steve