Gas welding Aluminium

I tried gas welding aluminium at night school on Tuesday, using rod and flux. No 2 tip & the plate was around 1.5mm

Crikey, it's hard (big respect to those of you who do it), nothing much happens then all of a sudden the plate can end up as a blob. I did manage to run a short length of butt weld, allbeit briefly (more by luck than judgement) quick pass on the English Wheel & wow!

Any advice for a beginner please? How do you know when it's all going to melt? Or more to the point that point just before!

I have got the hang of sheet steel.

Thanks for the advice Balders

Reply to
Balders