ghost echos in UT training plate - Ernie?

Hello all, Ernie

Been busy with idea of training plate for UT (Ultrasonic Testing) of welds. Made one, had one made - mine shown here

Have question though - Ernie?

One remaining shortcoming... Needs to have a ghost echo. How would I get one into this plate? Is there something you can do to make a ghost echo chose to live inside your training plate? And how can you make it happy when it is there, so it doesn't chose to leave? There are plenty of ghost echoes in a UT training centre, what with the number of echoes missed by students which are fated to go on to become ghost echoes. So it would seem to be a case of leaving your training plate in there overnight and doing something to it or laying something on it to attract ghost echoes. On the other hand, does one have to be careful not to get too many - it would be a counterproductive effect on a new trainee to get tens or hundreds of ghost echoes all jangling away across the UT set screen... Or am I seeing problems where there are none - do you only get one ghost echo at a time living in any one component?

Any advice and/or experience on this?

Richard Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith

To attract ghost echos you will need to perform a ritual involving a copper bowl, filled with blessed couplant, left under the light of a full moon....

...there is a goat and some jiffy pop...

...and then something involving paprika, but I always forget that bit...

It gets a bit involved. I think Wikipedia has an article explaining the whole ritual

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler