Harbor Freight

Is Harbor Freight's inverter worth hauling home for $200?

Reply to
Pat

Not unless you like being disappointed. Pure junk.

Rob

Reply to
RDF

If you're talking about TIG/Stick deal, it is pretty decent. Has it's limitations (no AC, scratch start ) but what do you want for $200 ?

Junk it aint.

Reply to
rashid.karimov

I am satisfied with it. I really can fry metal with it, using my 1/8 sticks,

6011/6012/6013. Got the dial at 80, bout as far as it will turn...

Went to local welding shop, got a bunch of tungstens for the cheap thing, and a couple of diff size holders. The tung that came with it where junk...so are the tung that hf sells.

Got a lincolin arc too...

A small box it is...tig is a little dicy, but it works...

xman

Reply to
xmradio

If you mean the TIG/Stick inverter then yes, but it's an even better deal if you get on their retail store email list and use a 20% off coupon. That makes it $160 when it's on sale for $200.

Might take a while to start getting the coupons though so if you're in a hurry it's still a decent deal at $200.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Check this page often:

every few days it changes and alternates between

10% off entire purchase, 20% off single item or $5 off every item over 35.
Reply to
rashid.karimov

Thanks. Sounds a lot better than $200. I think I'll give one a try as soon as I can get the right discount.

Reply to
Pat

In case you haven't realized it yet, I should point out that the welder does not include a regulator so you'll need to purchase that and a tank of argon. Unless you already have one or can find a deal on a used regulator this is about the best deal I've found:

It isn't as nice as a true flowmeter but I used one with a MIG for a year or so without any problems.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

I just have stick welding in mind. I got a 30 year old Sears buzz box that has rusted badly. Last time I tried to use it I couldn't adjust it. Don't seem to do much welding anymore but I got an old trailer that needs some. I will keep the regulator in mind in case I decide to try mig some day.

Reply to
Pat

I bought one, and it is a fine machine. No foot pedal plug, and DC only but it has the look of quality to it.

Reply to
Mike Swift

Pat, For the same amount as the HF box if you are looking at stick only you can easily pick up an Lincoln AC225 for under $250.00usc in any major hardware store. The little HF unit will not weld trailer sized meat at all, not to mention I would saw off my head rather than be behind it at highway speed. I know I sound pointedly bitter about HF but they are great in some roles and horrible in others. Welding gear is not the strong suit of theirs. I bet all my chain falls and other stuff came from there as well as cheap-o stuff but it's your money in the end. Sears now carries Thermal Arc and they have an excellent price. it's not 200 bucks but you do get what you pay for. I would strongly tell a friend to save the cash up or finance it on the Sears zero percent card if they need it asap. I'm just trying to not see you step on a land mine. We sort of look out for each other here. Oh, TA includes a flowmeter and instructions that are not in Chinese on a flap of paper :)

Respects,

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

A few years ago I would have tended to agree with you, but today, especially at the budget end of the market there is so much badge engineering. The price is as much dependant on the status of the brand and the level of badge engineering that is done as it is on the quality of the component parts. Low cost budget tools tend to be straight off a low cost source line with a particular paint colour and the right badgeing decals. The next level up tends to have a different case, finally there are the 'quality' ones which use components imported from the low cost supply, which are then installed in the brand owners own design boxes. Basic quality varies little between the brands, though the perception varies.

Peter

Reply to
Peter McLelland

Sorry Rob, but we sectioned welds on 3/8 plate with the HF inverted TIG in stick mode, and they were perfect - in fact we ran better penetration than with our buzz box.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I hauled the sears box out of the corner and fired it up. I have to adjust it with a big pipe wrench and the scale is long gone but it fired up and did the job after I dried the rod in the kitchen oven. I think I will still buy the Harbor Freight as soon as I can round up a big discount coupon.

Reply to
Pat

Or take the Sears unit apart and give it some badly needed maintenance

Gunner

"I think this is because of your belief in biological Marxism. As a genetic communist you feel that noticing behavioural patterns relating to race would cause a conflict with your belief in biological Marxism." Big Pete, famous Usenet Racist

Reply to
Gunner

The adjuster/crank broke off some years ago. The cabinet is very rusted and no longer holds the upper part of the adjuster in place. If my time is worth $50 an hour how long can I work on it? In good working conditon it probably is worth $75. I'll give it to you if you want it. There is some value in the cables/clamps.

Reply to
Pat

Where are you located?

Gunner, California..who does this sort of thing for fun as part of his hobby(s)