holding the electrode like a pencil

I'm blessed with just a buzz box and had to make a repair to the base of my chair, which seems to be cracking under the abuse of my two teen sons, for whom sitting in this chair normally seems to be a foreign concept. In order to hold me off until I can get another chair, I had to weld up the crack, but wasn't able to take the lift cylinder off, so a sopping wet rag cooled things off after an inch or so of bead. As I got going on it, I realized things were just a bit too tight to do this holding the electrode holder, so I held the 1/8" electrode like a pencil and welded that way. I was amazed at the amount of control I was able to get, although I couldn't weld very far before I ran out of working length. The damp gloves also ensured that I didn't grip too tightly or I'd get "the buzz." Had to drape the cable over my shoulder to keep the grip light, too. How many other folks have done this, and since I'm done already, is there anything more to learn about this technique?

Reply to
carl mciver

Its fairly common here in the oil fields..using modified gloves with metallic "finger protectors" on the gloves.

A guy who Used to come over and weld on his stuff in my shop, did this..sans the finger protectors..and kept burning up my gloves. I finally told him to bring his own gloves.and bring me a 3 pack of Harbor Freight gloves to replace the ones he burned to shit..and Ive not seen him since. Whch is ok with me. He used up my rods and gas..and never offered to replace anything.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Reply to
Gunner