how do i choose a plasma welder?

Hi there, i was just wondering what i should be looking at when purchasing a plasma welder/cutter?? Is there specific things i should look at? I want to purchase one for my son, he already has knowledge both on the plasma cutting and welding. I was also wondering wich type of welder/cutter is the best to buy. Thanks

Reply to
cayotegurl

What a wonderful mother you are, to buy gifts like that for your son! I wish my mother would do the same for me... I strongly suggest that you consider letting him pick them out though. It might not be the surprise gift you are thinking of, but there are a number of different brands, types, and sizes of welders and plasma cutters, and it would be hard to recommend one over another without knowing more about what he was going to do with them.

By the way, you mention "plasma cutter/welder" in your message, but generally these are two different tools. And saying "welder" is like saying "vehicle" - they come in all different types, costs, and capabilities, so once again, I recommend that it would be best to let him pick out the one he wants, or you might buy him a motor scooter when what he wants is a truck, if you follow my analogy.

Having said that, Thermal Dynamics and Hypertherm are two good plasma cutter brands that are widely available. You may not know that as you use a plasma cutter, there are some parts that get used up and must be replaced, so it is important to get one that your local welding supply store carries so they have these consumables. You also might not know that a plasma cutter requires an air compressor as well. As for welders, Miller and Lincoln are the two leading welder manufacturers that nearly every welding supply store carries.

That would be one good approach - find his local store and get a 'gift certificate' from them. Just to give you a rough estimate, $3000-4000 would probably cover both the welder and the plasma cutter, with enough left over to buy the carts, helmet, gloves, gas tanks, and all the other important accessories he will need. As a guy with more time than money, I was able to buy my plasma cutter, air compressor, and my two welders used for a total of $2000 for all three units, but they are all old models, well used, and somewhat beat up.

Great gift!

Reply to
Emmo

Reply to