How many of us wanna work in SF, CA?

Another potential infrastructure disaster is brewing, check out this headline:

SAN FRANCISCO - Authorities on Tuesday indefinitely closed the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge after a rod and a metal brace erected last month during an emergency repair job fell onto the bridge's westbound lanes, startling a pair of drivers who collided with the debris and leaving hundreds of others stranded in their cars during the evening commute.

Who would wanna weld on the bridge? I think it'd be pretty cool....

Reply to
TinLizziedl

I've worked at heights before all the OSHA tie off rules. I like it, except you lose time to weather a lot. Now, with the tie off rules, work would be at a slower pace, which is okay for this old fart. And oh, yeah, no climbing. Elevator is a must for this old fart.

I probably wouldn't get past the first interview, but it would be fun trying:

"Yeah, I can weld. I just can't climb, I need a pee break every twenty minutes, my tool belt can't be over five pounds, and I need two helpers. Other than that, I'm good to go."

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Ah, well, I still like to think I'm still Young, Dumb, and fulla C.. er, Foolishness. I've always had a respect for heights, but I've never really felt a fear of them. What kind of regulations would Ca have about welding / cutting operations over the water, though? Prolly more pain in the rump....

Reply to
TinLizziedl

So, an emergency repair to the emergency repair, eh?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Isn't it amazing how many people think our roadways and bridges will last forever? I know that when I saw my first chunk of 3" HY-80 I couldn't believe that it could rust through, much less just how fast it could.

It's a problem of education, really. How many high-school students make it through elementary physics? We don't even expect them to be able to balance their checkbook, yet we expect them to make rational choices in the voting booth. It's no wonder bridges are failing.

When I got to work on the reconstruction of the USS San Francisco (SSN-

711), I was shown some of the material that was cut away from the nose. 1 1/2" and thicker chunks of HS and HY-80 twisted, curled, and torn like paper. It's the kind of sight that impresses upon you the scope of stresses involved....
Reply to
TinLizziedl

You can't fix stupid or rust.

Reply to