How much gas, in a mig ?

Ok, got myself setup with a small mig.... please dont laugh, its all I could afford ! SIP Migmate 130 Turbo DP Mig welder Gas / Gasless I thought that for the same price as a gas only model, I may as well get the dual purpose one - I intended to run on "pub" bottles anyway ! and gasless may come in handy ? Also scounged a regulator/flow meter set - which I am using with a CO2 bottle.... (CO2/argon are so expensive in UK - rental only, unless you use disposables)

Question is, how much gas should I use ? I doubt that "too much" would be a problem, unless it cools the weld... but can I tell when I have "just enough" Been trying to knock it back until the weld doesnt "sound" right.... but not sure if thats too far ?

Thanks Paul

Reply to
Paul R

for a small size mig gun 20 -25 CF

too much gas will cause turbulance and you could introduce unwanted air into the stream of your shielding gas.

you should not adjust your gas flow by listening to the sound of your weld. if you want to adjust by sound do it by adjusting your wire speed and voltage

Reply to
acrobat ants

About as much as a henway.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

My 2p's worth

I know lots of DIYer's use that model, me included. Cheap(ish) and does the job. I tried running .8mm - don't bother.

I mainly use mine with CO2.

My local welding supplier (here in Kent, UK) does 'under the counter' pub bottles for £25. Apparently a lot of pubs use mixed gas not CO2 these days. BOC rental for Argoshield is IRO £58 per year! Not good for light hobby use.

Get some scrap and try on that. Too much/too little is a Bad Thing (TM)

Good luck Balders

Reply to
steve

$75 USD for a small bottle of CO2?

Holy Freaking Budda!!

Its $9 here.

Whats that work out to...3 pounds or something?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Small bottle being approx 2' high and 10" dia.

You guys have it easy cost wise. When I read about your Miller/Lincons/Hobarts etc costing $XXX I cry! How much would a comparable SiP 130 Dual Purpose be over there?

Please send me one of your lovely Lincons, we have 240V as standard here ;-)

A .5Kg roll of 0.6mm wire is IRO £5.80. The small disposable C02 bottles are neigh on £10 in the UK For home users it's pretty expensive

Oh BTW, I get to start the Vehicle Restoration and sheet metal work next month at a local college as night school(£355 one evening a week). Thanks to the posters on here and helped me out with a question a while ago. Thanks to Kevin for recommending the Collision Repair Guide, a very useful book.

Cheers guys. Balders

Reply to
Balders

One way to find out your gas flow rate is to use a plastic bag of known size and time how long it takes to fill it. Then do the math to convert to whatever units the gas flow is listed in your welding books.

They also make a small flow meter that you stick the nozzle into. They are pretty cheap and are good because it measures the flow where it counts.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Blame your government for those high prices. I think they tax the heck out of things to discourage the masses from learning how to do anything for themselves. If they have the tools and knowledge they might use them to do such awful things as build (rebuild) gas guzzling, polluting automobiles or worse yet, weapons *gasp*.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Ayup. I took two of them (aluminum) to be hydro'd, cleaned, filled and whatnot. $75 USD for all of that. Refills are $9 each.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Isn't it about 1.8 right now ? I was looking at oil and found a site in Saudi and in the UK ! - now a local depot (Phew!) but checked the price for 20 liters of Mobil 1409 is £34 (phew cut and paste the £ :-) ) Figure that is (gulp) $61 USD.

I only have to buy 4 20 L buckets - to be the starter set. I hope to have 2 of the 5 gallon buckets paid for by insurance.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Gunner Asch wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

depot (Phew!)

the £ :-) ) Figure

the 5 gallon buckets

£ ascii charector 163

press alt key and hold, type in 163

What do you need the oil for?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

ALT + 0163 ;-)

Please guys let's not talk about petrol (gas) prices. Ours is IRO 95p/litre (£3.60 US Gal (3.79 litres) or £4.31 UK Gal (4.55 litres)) :'-(

Reply to
Balders

To be fair... In Warwickshire, 150miles away from Steve, I get 6lb CO2 bottles for £10. These are ex-brewery steel bottles and the price of the bottle is included in the gas price.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

The cotton picking truck company bounced and swayed both grinders so much that there is almost zero hydro oil in the bottom pump system. Takes 4-5 gallons to fill. That is 1405 - only a 55gal drum was found in the us - lots world wide. Need 1409 gallon - can't find but a 55 gal. And need velocite 6 a gallon - has a 5 gal in Houston.

This is from the local oil company that has maybe 4 houses full (metal building) of drums of oils. And is the Mobil Texaco (so it is ExxonMobil and TexicoChevron now). Looking for cross references. Bummer Martin Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Gunner Asch wrote:

depot (Phew!)

the £ :-) ) Figure

of the 5 gallon buckets

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

a 5 gal in Houston.

building) of drums of oils.

for cross references.

Dont you simply need the visc to find a replacement? They are all pretty much the same and hydrolic fluid is common as dirt.

Gunner

depot (Phew!)

the £ :-) ) Figure

of the 5 gallon buckets

Reply to
Gunner

I'm getting ripped and burnt! Although I only get through one a year. I looked and mine is a 6Kg one (12 Kg empty 18Kg full & aluminium), so possibly that's why. Where are you getting these ie what sort of supplier?

TIA

Reply to
Balders

I'm getting ripped and burnt! Although I only get through one a year. I looked and mine is a 6Kg one (12 Kg empty 18Kg full & aluminium), so possibly that's why. Where are you getting these ie what sort of supplier?

TIA

Reply to
Balders

Cheers Cellar Gas Ltd

7, Atholl Crescent, Nuneaton, Warwickshire CV10 7PB Tel: 024 7674 8281

They are 6kg bottles filled to 3kg and if you live within his delivery area (at least 20 miles) he'll drop them off on his weekly rounds.

HTH Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

If you can find out what was used it might really help. Haven't heard from them. I think the salesman went to Houston for the 5gal. (one I need only an oil can full in my life - if that much... Have to find another use. :-)

Gunner wrote:

has a 5 gal in Houston.

building) of drums of oils.

for cross references.

depot (Phew!)

the £ :-) ) Figure

of the 5 gallon buckets

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

In Canada its $ 3.44 CDN / USGal which is about half of that, I feel your pain !

Reply to
Rudy