how to heat treat??

I was wondering if some in this n/g knows how to heat treat metal. I did it in high school many many many years ago. I remember heating to a certain color and cooling in oil and re-heating and cooling. But, can't remember the exact way to do it. I did a google search and couldn't find any help. Anyone have a link or any help.

thanx bill

Reply to
bill

one of those laser temperature probes may help you know what temp you have but I'm not sure if they can measure very high temperatures.

Peter

Peterthinking

Go here:

search for "heat treat" (exact phrase) in "*metalworking" newsgroup.

1780 hits.
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

A good indicator is to use a magnet. When you have reached the correct critical temp the steel suddenly becomes non magnetic. that is the temperature you want for quenching. Once you have seen the colour you can repeat without the magnet to help. Heating too high a temp promotes grain growth which you want to avoid. Randy

Peter

R. Zimmerman

Rod: Bill, I do not consider metal a treat. Is it herb or erb?

Rod: Oh? ;)

Rod: Red if you are white, I'm sure.

Rod: Try oil _BEFORE_ sex buddy. ;)

Rod: It's like welding, a little nervous after years of neglect, but you'll get into it. ;)

Rod: Bill, ya done wound up on the wrong news group buddy. :):):)

Rod Ryker... It is reasoning and faith that bind truth.

Reply to
Rod Ryker

If you don't do this often or if the parts are worth anything or if colorblind, invest in some Tempil sticks of the correct ranges. Much simpler, cheaper, accurate for most of us part-timers.

Jerry

Peterth> Here is the big list of color and use for tempering steel.

snipped

Reply to
jerry rausch