How to identify metal?

I picked up some fine screen at a metal recycler. It looks like stainless and is non-magnetic. Are there any good tricks to identify whether it is stainless steel, or some other metal? I am thinking about using it in homebrewing equipment.

Reply to
Bob F

Do you have access to a "mass spectragraph"?

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

The tech way is with a XRF - a hand held mass spec.

I'd love to have one myself, but the cost and maintenance might be more than my Radiation counter :-)

The quick and dirty way is price. If not pricey - it isn't Ti woven wire. Ni is magnetic. and there are many Stainless's.

It is likely 316 or 317 stainless being near perfect corrosion proof.

Likely there is an acid test that dissolves the nickle out or the iron.

You could heat it to 3000 degrees and see if you get Chrome oxides - but that might be to technical.

Does the man at the scrap yard have a hand XRF - that might be the only way.

Martin

Mart> I picked up some fine screen at a metal recycler. It looks like stainless and is

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

A very non-technical way would be to drop a piece in a glass of beer and see whether it is affected. If it stays bright and clean, and doesn't develop any crud or sludge, I'd say you are good to go. If you want to be more thorough, try it in several household products, such as vinegar, drain cleaner, cola, etc, and see whether it is affected by any of them.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I have used the "spark Test" to identify bolts made of Stainless and Titanium. Titanium gives off bright white sparks when touched to a spinning grinding wheel, Stainless sparks are not as briliant.

Reply to
Nadogail