Hypotherm 600 vs Thermdynamics 51

I cant decide which one to get. Mostly use for small home shop and steel art. I have a torch for real thick stufff.

Any users comments wld be great help.

Was told the Thermdynamics cut a smaller kerf(good for steel art) and the Hypotherm was really good at production work.

I have competitive prices for each.

thanks....BR..

Reply to
Blueraven

The Hypertherm I have has held up real well, don't see why a kerf being a tad bigger would mean anything a'tall though ..

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Hypertherm do a set of finer consumeables if the kerf width is a problem

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I don't know what size of kerf you want - but I posted some on the metalworking site - normal consumables and then fine cut set - into 64oz copper with my CNC table.

Hypertherm_600_fine_cut_copper1 Hypertherm_600_fine_cut_copper2 Hypertherm_600_fine_cut_copper3 and the associated text file ....copper.txt

I got 25 mil or .025" at 40 inches per second. On standard torch for my 600 - it was 80 mil or .080.

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Grant Erw>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Martin,

what the heck does all that mean?

I'm trying to decide which machine wld give long live an do 1/8" to

1/2" cutting w/o the stress of production. IE, home hobby shop.

Savvy?

BR

Reply to
Blueraven

Cool it - the fellow is trying to help you !!!!!!!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

OK sorry.

I assume he just means getting smaller diameter opeing tips in ooreder to decreae the kerf.

I've decided on the hypotherm//

thanks all for the input.

BR.

Reply to
Blueraven

ooreder

He is referring to pictures he has put in the metalworing drop box for you to see so you can see the kerf he is getting. Those are the file names and the box is at

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

OH i see. thanks ill try and look at them.

I ordred the Hypertherm 600. Got great price and I know, after doing the research, Ill be happy with it. I was told they were a earlier producer of plasma cutter..been in the business a long time.

Thanks again all that took the time to respond.

BR.

Reply to
Blueraven

Well my Hypertherm 900 has never given any trouble and always done what's asked of it. The consumeables were a bit pricey over here in the UK but fortunately was able to get some brought over by my son. Often thought that those copper electrodes would have looked just like bullets on an airport scanner

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Someone was concerned with kerf width and that was some information did for another. I'm not sure 1/2" thick steel can be cut with fine cut - but it would be the one to try maybe - I can look at my box (general spec) but it is on millers site. The small kerf means all of the power in a small cut line - not heating up a wide slot.

Generally if one has all the current in the world - big machine - you could blow through. On smaller machines you have to plan a little more. And run test trials.

I got the 600 as it was the biggest machine (at the time) on 220 and I didn't need to cut large slabs. Table didn't support it.

Since I can sever 7/8" - do quality 5/8 and standard rated at 1/2". I myself do .032 through 7/16 - never did 1/2 (yet) - but almost. Cut copper, Al, steel, SS, Bronze. I have it on a CNC machine - but I got a 50' (nice to have a long one) RT60 torch so I can use the machine outside (machine inside). I can roll the machine to the shop door (and power plug and extend to the far end of work area in front of the shop. OBTW - that RT60 is one sweet cutter. It is setup for a larger machine so it has plenty of current ability and functions better.

I think the consumables are lower cost - from what I hear.

Continue research - and if you need something tested try poising a test.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Blueraven wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Thanks Andrew - correct web page - tons of good stuff as well !

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

Andrew Maws>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Might get dicier when the new stuff gets to the airports - the Hf (element) used as a source - absorbs Neutrons at a heavy rate. - might give false indication of plastic explosive if the neutron dump disappears!

Andrew Maws>

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn