Installed cooling coil on TIG circulator, pix, questions

After I recalled that I have over a dozen of Blissfield condenser coils (about 8x10 inches, very nice easily mountable coils, which I plan on selling for $10 each), I added one to my TIG water cooler. I suspect that it will be there mostly for looks, and not needed to cool the coolant, but perhaps one day it would actually be helpful.

Many new pictures are here

Besides the coil (and a fan to cool it), I also installed a water pressure gauge. I am glad and disappointed at the same time. Unfortunately, the water pressure reads over 200 PSI. That's way too much for a TIG torch.

I am glad that I was able to detect this dangerous overpressure.

Doubtless, I need to buy and install a pressure relief valve ASAP.

Any suggestions for a suitable relief valve? There are various kinds over there and I am lost. I would prefer something with 3/8" NPT male connections.

thanks

Ignoramus18971

Your pump from the looks of it should have the adjustable relief built in.

See

for the location.

Also see

which you can decode your pump part number to give you the specifics on your pump.

Hope this helps....

Reply to
crazycolo1

Gunner mentioned that too. I will check that "acorn looking nut" as well. Last time I looked, it seemed not to be adjustable. I willnow read those pages.

Ignoramus18971

Yes. You and Gunner were perfectly right. The acorn looking nut that I had was simply stuck a little bit, and I was afraid to apply some force before. Now that I adjusted it, the pressure on the torch is exactly at 50 PSI. Life is great! Thanks guys!

Ignoramus18971

Sheesh! Why does it seem that you need to be told the same story multiple times by several people before you begin to believe it?

Reply to
xray

The nut was stuck and required some very serious torque to unscrew. I was afraid to break the pump.

Ignoramus26750

while I like your radiator/ fan, I still thing the phrase "keep it simple" comes to mind, if you don't need it why insatall it? you must have lots of timeon hand :)

Reply to
acrobat ants

I have a big box full of these condenser coils, and another box full of case fans (taken off equipment that I threw away). It was an almost free addition, the only things that I paid for were fittings and the pressure gauge. I needed the gauge anyway (glad I put it in, and corrected overpressure), and without the coil, there was no logical place to mount it.

Since I am selling these coils on ebay right now, I wanted to have something to show how they are used.

Ignoramus26750

xray,

I view it as "troll bait"; a ploy to keep threads going as long as possible; a psychological cry for attention; a way to collect as many "hits" on a particular thread as possible; enhanced bragging rights in troll circles.

Bob Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Sheeese...next time listen to us Old Farts © and save yourself some time and tears

Gunner

Gunner

Yep... Your suggestion was 100% on target... And I wasted time due to not listening carefully (and being afraid to really follow up on due to stuck nut).

I now have a 100% working TIG welding machine with everything working very well. The foot pedal especially makes a great deal of difference. Thanks to all. Idefinitely could not do it just by myself.

Ignoramus26750

It looks like you put the cooling coil between the pump and the torch. It works better to have it between the torch and the tank on the return hose. That way it cools the water before it gets to the tank (plus it keeps the coils from being pressurized as much).

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Thank you Wayne. Maybe I will redo it, but I must note that the pressure now is only 50 psi, and this is a high pressure condenser coil. Cooling water before it gets to the tank, is a great point though.

Ignoramus26750

Igy, glad you got your pressure corrected. I'll toss in what I did just for the sake of tossing. I ran my house pressure up to about 70 psi so I could get a little more pressure in my unstairs shower and installed a simple pressure reducer going to my tig machine. You can get these from any motor home/travel trailer supply house. BTW, I lost track of your motorcycle engine nightmare. What was the final outcome? Bill

Reply to
lathenut

Thanks. I was kind of thinking about boosting my house water pressure, as well. We have a third floor (one big room only) and the shower there does not work as well. I take showers in the basement usually.

There was no outcome. The detective is not calling me back (despite his promise), the engine is langushing in the bushes behind the house (covered with a contractors trash bag). I will wait for a while, and then will sell it on ebay. Maybe I'd get $100 from it, it is not worth more than that if described honestly.

Ignoramus26750

Get an impact wrench. It's excellent for popping stuck caps from pumps without putting much stress on the pump housing. You already have an air compressor.

Reply to
B.B.