Lincoln 175 SP question

I bought one of these, and I like it, although not nearly as much as my MillerMatic 200.

I have lately run into problems when I want to run something at the top of the parameters of the machine. I went and asked for an .045 liner, and they gave me the wrong kind, an .035". The machine has rollers for .030, so don't know if it would even run .045. I did get a roll of .035" FCAW.

I turn up the heat, and the wire speed, but I just can't seem to get the puddle and fusion I need. I'm welding on some 1/4". The trigger situation has been solved by the addition of a $2 doorbell bar, but the speed or something seems intermittent. I haven't really done a ton of welding with it on lower settings with .025" or .030", but can't get that sound I like with the higher settings.

Maybe I need to get out the FCAW, or just stick weld thicker things?

Anyone have any thoughts of a 175 at the top of the range?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Steve B

That machine maxes out on 0.035" solid wire. I would run 0.030" in it for better heat.

The larger wires just suck the power out of those little transformers. Better to run a smaller wire hotter, than a larger wire colder.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Steve B wrote in sci.engr.joining.welding on Sun, 27 Mar 2011 09:01:34 -0700:

Did you change the polarity? FCAW is the opposite of MIG. Is your input power good? How far from the breaker panel? Good cord connections? Good outlet? Is that a 110 volt or 220 volt machine?

Reply to
dan

Reply to
Weldnollage

When I bought the MM, IIRC, it was 1984. I believe it was around $1300. It was for personal use that turned into a business. I bought this 175 about eight years ago, just for ornamental metal. It isn't nearly as good as the

200, but I'll be building a good quantity of ornamental metal stuff shortly, so will see if I can get it dialed in. If I'm going to do anything thick, even .120" wall tube, I use 7018, 6010, or 6011. If I was going to set up shop again, I'd go with the bigger machines. The SP175+ is a little better than you get at the box stores, but it still has a little too much plastic in there for me for a $700 welder.

I have some .030" wire, and I'm going to get my 75/25 filled for the upcoming project, and think that should be fine with a little adjustment on my side. I'm using CO2 right now because it costs a bit more for mix, and this tank and fill was free.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Steve B