Low Cost Plasma Cutter.

Has anyone seen this plasma cutter from Harbor Freight ? At less than $500 for a 36 amp inverter machine this is fabulous, however I wonder what the reliability and parts availability is.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Swift

I've been waiting for someone else to test this and post a review...

Reply to
Emmo

I picked up a Chicago Electric unit to pass around to my friends as I do not want my Miller being not only out of my sight, but out of my control. (Some folks will understand this for sure) Anyway, The only real beef I had is the tip life is a lot shorter and I mounted a dryer on the inlet side on a short whip hose. I really have not put much time on it but my best friend had stated that it works just as well as my Miller as long as you use a stand-off or keep an eye on the tips. The biggest problem with Harbor freight is usually getting replacement parts in a timely manner. I'm concerned about the one year warranty but for what I get in "favors in return" the unit has already paid for itself in trades (Gotta love the barter system!) If the Chicago Electric is for hobby or casual use I'd jump on it and save the money from big red or big blue. The real bottom line is you get what you pay for.... It's cleaner than a smoke-wrench and well less than half the cost of a Miller or Lincoln in the same capacity rating. I only used it on diamond plate for a side job and it worked just fine, no over heating or goblins inside. Hope this helps.

All the best,

Reply to
RDF

I need more friends like you.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

And another amazing thing about this unit is that while the cutter actually weighs 28.8 lbs it only ways 26.5 lbs when you ship it. That's the magic of harborfreight!!

Reply to
Wiz

I could use a friend like that, buy a tool for me to use!

Reply to
Lane

Doesn't HF use helium as a packing medium?

Reply to
Peter Grey

No, it is vacuum packed ;)

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Boris Mohar

Hey, Us South-side Chicago boys stick together.... What one tool I may not have another in the group will... From drills to cranes, we take care of eachother- we are not the thugs you might think !!

Rob

Reply to
RDF