Low Cost Plasma Cutter.

Threaded View
Has anyone seen this plasma cutter from Harbor Freight
<http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91814>?
  At less than $500 for a 36 amp inverter machine this is fabulous,
however I wonder what the reliability and parts availability is.

Mike

Re: Low Cost Plasma Cutter.
I've been waiting for someone else to test this and post a review...

Re: Low Cost Plasma Cutter.
I picked up a Chicago Electric unit to pass around to my friends as I do not
want my Miller being not only out of my sight, but out of my control. (Some
folks will understand this for sure) Anyway, The only real beef I had is the
tip life is a lot shorter and I mounted a dryer on the inlet side on a short
whip hose. I really have not put much time on it but my best friend had
stated that it works just as well as my Miller as long as you use a
stand-off or keep an eye on the tips.  The biggest problem with Harbor
freight is usually getting replacement parts in a timely manner. I'm
concerned about the one year warranty but for what I get in "favors in
return" the unit has already paid for itself in trades (Gotta love the
barter system!) If the Chicago Electric is for hobby or casual use I'd jump
on it and save the money from big red or big blue. The real bottom line is
you get what you pay for.... It's cleaner than a smoke-wrench and well less
than half the cost of a Miller or Lincoln in the same capacity rating. I
only used it on diamond plate for a side job and it worked just fine, no
over heating or goblins inside.
     Hope this helps.

           All the best,

                Rob

Re: Low Cost Plasma Cutter.

not
(Some
the
short
jump
less

I need more friends like you.

Shawn

Re: Low Cost Plasma Cutter.
I could use a friend like that, buy a tool for me to use!

Re: Low Cost Plasma Cutter.
Hey,
   Us South-side Chicago boys stick together.... What one tool I may not
have another in the group will... From drills to cranes, we take care of
eachother- we are not the thugs you might think !!

Rob

Re: Low Cost Plasma Cutter.
And another amazing thing about this unit is that while the cutter actually
weighs 28.8 lbs it only ways 26.5 lbs when you ship it. That's the magic of
harborfreight!!

Re: Low Cost Plasma Cutter.
Doesn't HF use helium as a packing medium?

Peter

Re: Low Cost Plasma Cutter.

 No, it is vacuum packed ;)

Regards,