Mechanical motor questions .....

That's what I do with the engines that I messed with (diesel)

So, you connect the body of the starter to negative, the large terminal on starter to positive (with lugs), and then connect that with a live wire or switch to the small terminal on the starter. That should get it to run.

Ignoramus25365

Two questions, please. My battery was dead. I have it on an overnight charge. When it was partially charged, I put it in my welding machine, a SA

200 to see if it would spin it. I had the plugs out, and the motor would turn with a wrench on the main crank bolt holding on the bottom pulley. It's not seized.

The starter has a solenoid with the large hot wire lug on the back and two smaller terminals. I arced the hot and the smaller terminal to get the starter to spin. It would spark a little, but wouldn't spin the starter. I seem to remember this from my teenagerhood. Forgive me, lots of time has passed, and a couple of head injuries has reshuffled my deck and left me minus a card or two. Maybe the battery just didn't have enough juice to kick the solenoid in. Am I right in remembering that arcing it like that will make the solenoid kick in and spin the starter?

In the morning, I'm going to try it again, and take the battery to have it tested, as it should be fully charged. If it's bad, just going to get a new one. Then check the starter.

Second question ..... on the hoses, they seem to be in good shape. But if they aren't too expensive, I think I'll just replace them. They have the spring type clamps on there. They are tons of fun to work with, and I always seem to pinch myself. Maybe I just need to spring for a set of those special pliers. Are those spring clamps as good as the screw types? Or should I just replace them all with good SS hose clamps.

I'm off with my box of old parts to NAPA tomorrow to get all I can and order the rest. I have to pick up a 3/4" wrench that will fit where the starter bolt is. If this battery won't spin the starter then I'll pull it and have it tested.

Today, I did find a broken wire to the main on/off switch. Another thing on the list. I tried arcing the starter, but it wouldn't spin. Ran out of light, and there's always tomorrow. Now, it's a process of elimination.

I didn't pull the carb, as I figured I'd do that if it didn't fire. I don't expect it to fire, but no sense doing all that if it would have worked anyway. I'll just try it with some new gas. Removed the gas tank, and am cleaning that out, too.

The wife hates that varnish smell of old old gasoline.

Thanks.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Indeed. Some..some have external solenoids, so you can go directly to the starter lug. Others must do as you stated. The one I looked at today has a external solenoid. Red faced SA-200, being rebuilt for the 4th time according to the owner. Its a late

1950s model, and has been in continious duty all that time, as a pipe welder in the oil patch. Handed down from his daddy.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Whoops..two smaller terminals indicate internal solenoid. My bad. Hook jumper cable to big lug and with small wire, hit one or the other to the big terminal lug and the solenoid should pull in and spin.

Tap with hammer etc.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I'd also see if I could somehow manually turn the starter by hand or wrench, if it sat a long time it may be partially seized in that position.

On the other hand, the previous owner may have let the smoke out. As we all know, most electrical devices operate on smoke, let it leak out and it's toast...

DJ

Reply to
IdaSpode