Miller 212 vs 252

Ok, I have definitely out grown my crackerbox and my china store flux core welders. In addition my son plans to take welding when he starts high school this fall. The second puts a little more impetuous behind my drive to get a better welder. I've been seriously planning on a new welding machine since Christmas, but Santa brought the kids go- carts instead of bringing me a welder. My wife offered to put one on one of her credit cards for my birthday and then for father's day, but I really didn't want to put a couple grand on credit for something that isn't business critical.

Now I'm really down to deciding if the Miller 252 is worth the extra grand over the 212. We won't be welding every day, but we have tackled some pretty involved projects a time or two. The last one was converting an old boat trailer into a flatbed trailer to haul my electric scissor lift. (Ok, that was kinda business critical, but I got it done with what I had) The next project I want to play with is learning to weld aluminum and repairing an old junk boat I bought just to practice on... (The weight in aluminum is worth more than I paid, and the trailer under it is decent.)

Actually, I plan to just buy a bunch of scrap aluminum to learn on before tackling the boat repairs.

So, what does the 252 have or do that the 212 doesn't have. I seem to recall that I was sold on the 212 last time I looked, but I don't remember why.

I can get either one with dual regulators, dual tank rack, regular gun, and spool gun in a package for $2100 or $3100 respectively. (aproximately) I don't really have the extra grand to throw at the

252, but if it would really be worth it I could scrape it together somehow.

I already have one flow regulator, and an Argon CO2 bottle (I used it some with my china store welder) in the shop and Grampa (my dad) brought over a full straight Argon bottle today for us when we are ready to tackle aluminum stuff that he had left over from when he was a dealer. (Along with a full acetylene bottle and a big empty O2 bottle. All I have given him recently was a nice metal door left over from when I put up my shop. Dang. I bet he wants to borrow my scissor lift to put up the overhead doors on his new shop. LOL)

212 easy and have cash left over for supplies and a nice dinner on the town for the whole family or 252 and have to wait a while to buy supplies and practice stock?

Is it worth a grand difference for a hobby project welder and his kid?

P.S. I plan to keep the cheapo welder for those small portable jobs. Besides it works a lot better now that I added a cooling fan. Maybe also for the kid to learn some basics on with thin hot rolled steel.

Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe

There are so many experienced welders in this group that I was really wondering why I hadn't gotten any opinions to mull over, then I realized that I posted this via Google Groups, and some news servers are no filtering posts from Google.

Anyway, ultimately I have to make my own choice as to whether or not its worth it, but I have learned a lot from your opinions in the past.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Please accept these comments as intended, not as criticism, but as a help to getting better answers.

Be more helpful. What are the differences in these two machines? Be more complete. Include some links to the two machines. Be more concise. I read about three hundred messages a day, and your's was too long.

This is a great group, and I am happy that we are both here.

emmo

Reply to
emmo

Bob, I saw your post. I bought the 252 for the extra capacity. Most of what I do is lighter stuff that the 212 could do fine, but I wanted the larger machine for the occassional big job. I can't comment on the differences beyond the current capacity and duty cycle because I did not really look at the 212.

The little bit that I have used the 252 has impressed me.

We ain't ignoring you, most people in this group don't say anything if we don't have a good answer.

Good Luck, BobH

Reply to
BobH

I thought that was what I asked.

com for one. LOL.

Ok, I talk to much. Got it.

Actually I read the differences in the two machines spec sheets. Was just hoping somebody here might have pushed one or both of them to their limits and have some first hand experience.

Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe

Bob, the 250 series machines are serious production machines. They also mate with the Spoolmatic 30A, Miller's excellent spoolgun if you need one for aluminum. The smaller machines may not work with the 30A and they will for sure not have the amperage capability. You can use a 250 series machine for spray mode MIG but you will need a much heavier gun than the one it comes with. I have a Millermatic 250 (note, not a 250X) and I have made a living with it for several years now. Day in day out, weld, weld. The

251 or 252 are just as robust.

I can't really comment on the smaller machine.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Grant Erwin wrote: (snip)

I belive that Gunner was able to use the 30A on his 210 machine. But yes, it will have less amperage and a shorter duty cycle. Todd

Reply to
Todd Rich

Both package kits come with the same gun it looks like. I think I'll wait a couple days an mull it over. I know that when I get in the groove and the metal is flowing good there is nothing I hate more than sitting there and waiting for my machine to cool down so I can get back to work.

Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe

Meant to say same spool gun.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Yeah, I figured that was what you meant. I have a 251 myself, sans spool gun, so I figured from the prices you were quoting, they were including the gun.

A couple of things to note. The 252 tops out a 300 amps compared to 210 for the 212. Also the 212 has 7 taps for voltage and the 252 has a infinite control dial for the voltage. I guess you have to figure out if those features are worth it to you.

I went with the 251 because it was rated for 1/2" steel as opposed to 3/8" and I had a large project that needed it.

And I tend to go with the philosphy of going for the best tool you can reasonably afford. I know you were saying that if you got the 252 you would have to wait a bit before you could really get into it. However down the road, you will have passed that time, and if you have the 252, you will have a machine that should serve you well for quite some time.

Todd

Reply to
Todd Rich

I've been kinda mulling that over and am leaning that way. One thing to mention is that is it says 3/8 in one pass. I'm no great welder, but I have welded 1/4 with a china box flux core by stitching in and out of the seam. Its kinda like making multiple passes in one pass. It is slow, and my time is valuable to me, so that may be a considering factor too. Still I haven't worked on much that would require a lot of seams in 1/2 inch plate. Still, speed could be a big factor. Hmmm. Must cogitate.

Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe

I just saw both posts. The 252 is a great machine if you plan on doing light production welding. It is a bit overkill for hobby work. I think you will be quite happy with the 212.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I just ordered a 212. If I wind up over utilizing it or have any regrets I'll let you guys know. Like I said I've been using a flux core china store welder for a while, and making it work so I am hoping that it will be a long time before I run up against the limitations of this rig. I did order it with the package that includes both the regular gun and the 3035 spool gun and two regulators.

I went ahead and ordered some wire at the same time, and I already have gas bottles in straight argon and argon CO2 mix so I should be ready to go after I read the manuals. Hopefully I won't need to pick up an Argon Helium bottle for a long long time. I've got a separate drawer in one on my tool boxes already for stainless steel brushes too, so unless I get some really nasty dirty oil soaked metal I should be good.

My only concern is it says aluminum from 14 gage. I hope I can learn to handle 16 gage with it as that is a pretty common thickness in the real world.

Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe

Dang-It!!!

I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas. The new welder isn't even shipping until today, and I'm already anxious to play with.

Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe

Got gloves ? Got Task / job to do lined up and ready ?

Got time - you had the money - now for the time !

Be ready to go - got gas ? need gas ?

Got wire ? - what if it comes Friday afternoon......dang not till Monday...

Martin

Mart> Dang-It!!!

Martin H. Eastburn

Yep, atleast two pairs that I know where they are. One I always lay across my current welder when I am done so I always know where to find them. Both of my welding hoods are hanging on the wall next to my big tool box too.

I have some left over aluminum chunks from some old projects that I plan to practice on, then I need to go out and buy some aluminum sheet and aluminum plate for my first repair project. Its been sitting on its trailer out back of the shop for a couple months now. Actually there are a couple steel projects I've been putting off because I hate using the china box flux welder to. I imagine both guns will see some use before Monday even if it does arrive on Friday.

I never have the time. I have to make time for everything.

You betcha. Full tanks of both argon and mix gas.

Yep, I have some wire already, but I also ordered a couple different alloys of wire to play with that should be shipping with the welder.

I own the shop. I'll play with it when I like. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I played with aluminum with the 212 all weekend, and I played with some basic steel scrap this week. I may actually have to play with the steel welding a lot more before I trust it with a trailer or a camera mount. It's a lot different using a welder where I am not constantly struggling to get good flow. Yeah, I think it will be more than enough welder for me for a long time.

Reply to
Bob La Londe