Millermatic 210 and 175

I'm considering purchasing one of these two machines. Why is the 210 3 times heavier? I know its bigger and more powerful but that is quite a big jump in weight. I hope the extra weight is in the power supply. Has anyone looked in both of these and know why?

Reply to
cunning linguist

Duty cycle ratings have everything to do with it. You need at least the 210 to do any steady welding with .035 wire. The tender trap in all this is that wire feed allows you to continuously weld for minutes at a time. This was not so with stick welding. In a commercial operation they select wire feed machines and power supplies that can operate at 100 percent duty cycle. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

MM 175 - 30% duty cycle at 130 amps, maximum thickness 1/4"

MM 210 - 60% duty cycle at 160 amps, maximum thickness 3/8"

The duty cycle is 2X at a higher amperage and the machine will weld

50% thicker metal in a single pass. The expense and weight are added to gain the increased duty cycle, whether you need that much duty cycle or not.

There is also a difference in what must be added to weld aluminum with a spoolgun - the 210 is "spool gun ready", so it has some extra circuitry inside, though that probably does not add much weight.

Both machines are 230V power requiring a female welding receptacle (not a dryer receptacle), so either one will probably be used at your shop/house. Even at 73#, you will probably put wheels on the 175 if you go that way.

The MSRP for the 210 is about twice that of the 175, but you will probably >I'm considering purchasing one of these two machines. Why is the 210 3

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

Biggest difference is the duty cycle. The 210 has 160 amps at 24.5 volts dc, 60% duty cycle. The 175 has 130amps at 20 volts dc, 30% duty cycle. So you can weld for longer durations (and thicker steel). The 210 comes with dual installed solenoids for your inert gasses where the 175 has one. The

210 comes with the running gear and has plug in spool gun capability (if you want to mig weld aluminum) the 175 can use a spool gun, but you will need to buy an adaptor as well. The 175 does not come with running gear. In short, it really depends on your needs. I have a millermatic 175 and I like it alot. If I need to weld thicker steel (over 1/4") I would have to stick weld it or oxy acetylene it. The 210 can weld up to 3/8". But again, the duty cycle is the big difference here. If you're planning on laying down beads for a long time, you can do it longer with the 210 without waiting for the machine to cool down. Example: A 150 amp machine with a 30% duty cycle (set at it's maximum output) would allow 3 minutes of use for every ten minutes, but the same machine with a 60% duty cycle would allow you six minutes for every ten. If you plan on welding thinner steel (less amperage) you might not notice the difference because you would not be using the maximum amperage output. So it really depends on how thick the work is that you plan on welding and if you really need the larger duty cycle Good luck, walt
Reply to
wallster

I can recommend the 210 without hesitation. Bought one in the fall of '01 during a special promotion when the economy was in the toilet. I got the machine and Miller's spoolgun for $1200, free shipping. Sold it after a severe illness in late 2002, and now really wish I hadn't (although I wouldn't have room for it). I ran my 210 a lot, and it never gave me any trouble. Just really nice quality welds.

Miller's old deal used to be that you could price shop dealers -- wherever -- and then Miller would drop ship your purchase from its regional warehouse at no charge. Apparently now they're charging the dealers for shipping, and the dealer physically handles the machine (i.e., ship in, ship out).

My unsolicited advice would be to buy the most machine you can afford, because you'll grow into it.

Reply to
Jon Ward