muffler welding stainless steel

I had a rude awakening. On my 93 Dodge Grand Caravan, the original factory muffler was all stainless steel. It gave up about 2 years ago so I went to Midas and had it replaced with their "stainless steel"muffler. Now 2 yrs later, the pipes that are welded to this muffler are all corroded. Obviously the muffler is stainless but the pipes are not. This is how Midas and Speedy get you coming back.

Checking the web and the dealer it appears that the only replacement is from Walker which Midas and Speedy buy from as well. You cannot get a totally stainless steel replacement muffler(other than the performance type that sound bad in a van).

I was wondering if I couldn't take this muffler, get some 2inch stainless pipes and use my mig welder to weld these pipes on. The muffler itself looks in excellent condition.

Steve

Reply to
steve.lischynsky

Ernie Leimkuhler