New Maxstar 150 problems, HELP?!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim C Roberts" Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2005 2:44 PM Subject: New Maxstar 150 problems, HELP!

Greetings all, > > After more than 2 years of begging/threatening/pleading, the Boss finally > purchased us a new Maxstar 150 STH this past week. We are using 115V > power connections and someone was supposed to pick up a 10 ga./50' extension > cord for it but I'm not sure if that has happened yet. It has been used > over the last couple of days for both TIG and stick and seems to have been > performing well. > > (SIDE Note; one of the welders said they were using 3/32" rods at about 90 > amps and were having to turn it down half way threw the rod to keep from > burning them up. Not sure what type of rods(6011, 6013, 7018), and I am not > much of a stick welder, but I seem to recall someone saying the burning up > of the rods was not a good thing. Right or Wrong? > > This morning, Saturday, it was taken to a plant where they say; "it TIG > welded (SS) about an inch then quit" the blue power light just flashes. I > personally have 2 theories as to why it quit, but am open to any other > options/opinions. > > 1) They have it plugged into too small of a drop cord and are starving it > for power. > > 2) They have it set for the wrong operation, SMAW instead of GTAW or they > have it set to use the remote and are trying to scratch start it. > > I would appreciate any and all suggestions before Monday when I will have > to tell the boss that our new $1500 play pretty is broke. GGGRRR!! > > Regards, > Jim C Roberts > >
Reply to
Jim C Roberts

Serial Number is everything. Do a search of this group for maxstar and serial number. If you're unit is pre- LF 010173M, they'll exhange it free with a new Chinese made Maxstar if it's causing you problems. Ask for Mark Cadillac at Miller. It could be the cord, but that's really unlikely. I use 67 amps for 3/32" 6013-6011, 75 is right for 3/32" 7018. That's using 5 12ft computer power strips in a row, each with a 15amp breaker all on a 15amp brach. You can run all day at 67amps. 70+, and it will trip a 15amp if you run it constantly. Remember, the heating of a wire or a rod is given by the area of the circle you get when you it in half. Pi times radius squared gives:

1/16 gives 30 amps max for 6011-6013 3/32 divided by 2=0.046875 squared=.00220 times pi=.0069 or 69amps max 1/8 divided by 2=.0625 times pi/2 =98amps max 1/4"=.125^2 times pi gives 491 amps max These are real maximums, reduce 0-10% for 6011-13, increase 10% for 7018, 15% for 8018-9018, and 20% for 10018. Don't use 6010 with the Maxstar unless it's you ex's new husbands car you're fixing. 6011 is pretty. 7024 is like a stick version of mig. Not close really, but unique enough to be compared.
Reply to
Ben Woodward

FYI, just kidding about the Chinese part. It's worth it's weight in gold, IMO.

Reply to
Ben Woodward

Ben,

Had me scared there for a minute. My apologies for not reposting sooner, thanks for your advice. Our local Linde rep got us another unit in today as a replacement, the original is on its way back to Miller for diagnosis, which I am eagerly awaiting.

Thanks again, Jim

Reply to
Jim C Roberts

I found Miller Maxstar 150 STL useful among all other welding machine. I hope you will try it at once and share you experience. You can check it her:

ahmad ali