New Tig welder

Finally popped for a new (first) Tig. We got a Miller 180SD, nice machine. A few questions:

1) lathiated tungstons seem to be the top rated items but were pretty spendy at my local shop ($8 EACH!) Any reccomended on-line stores that I can check prices at? 2) I've got Ernies reccomended starting amps formulas, I seem to be missing the reccomended tungston size formula. 3) Which wheel to grind tungstons? 4) How much do I have to worry about contaminating tungstons? I was thinking about getting a 6" HF grinder and using it ONLY for tungstons.

Cheers.

Reply to
RoyJ

I have a 180SD, good machine.

Here is a link that has 1/8 inch for 2.73 ea.

Here is a great resource:

and another:

HTH.

Tom

Reply to
Tm

Aglevtech on ebay Just do an ebay search for tungstens.

Optimal would be a coarse Silicon Carbide wheel (green) for roughing and a fine Aluminum Oxide wheel (grey) for polishing.

However you can use alumin8um oxide for both or just use a medium grit wheel by itself.

Contaminating tungstens is not really a problem for hobby welding. It is a concern for high end TIG for aerospace for food service.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks,

So for a student level shop with a Miller 180SD I should be able to get along with one package of ten 3/32" and one package of 10 1/16" Lathanated to do a general mix of carbon, SS, and Al? Perhaps add some .040" when the need arises? ie when they get good enough :)

I need to keep things simple at the expense of perfection and also to keep the thoriated ones out of there.

I have the Aglevtech site up, the prices are pretty good. The paperwork hassles of buying off the web make me want to buy local but 10x more expensive is rediculous!

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

Reply to
RoyJ

For hobby use, I've settled on a 3/32" electrode. To me, it's a hassle to change electrodes. I find a 3/32" electrode suitable for welding

1/16" - 1/4" mild steel. And a 3/32" electrode doesn't 'disappear' on the grinding wheel as quickly as the smaller ones. I still haven't shortened one significantly after 3-4 months of weekend welding. Good luck.
Reply to
John

I now buy most of my consumables from Aglevtech. Even with shipping, I simply cannot beat his prices, by any margin, by purchasing locally.

Gunner

Gunner