New welder choice

Hello to everybody, I have a question as to what would be a better choice for my light welding needs. It will be mostly sheet metal 16G & 1/4" steel for my motorcycle projects. I am considering either the Miller 210 or maybe the HTP 2400. They are priced about the same, does any one have much feed back on the HTP? HTP also has a small plasma cutter for relatively short money called the MicroCut 300. Thanks for any feed back.

Dave

Reply to
<classstudio

I too had looked into the HTP, they're not a very large company and the president's email is listed on the contact information on their website. From what I have heard they have excellent customer service and they sell good quality products. The 2400 sells for $1299. Do a google groups search for HTP, you'll see various comments on HTP, mostly good. I have read that HTP believes in the "simpler is better" philosophy, their migs are presumably built in a simpler fashion with less bells & whistles. You should add the Lincoln 215 to your list, it's a 250A machine that's within the same price range.

I was having great difficulty choosing between the miller, lincoln & htp, until I found the Panasonic Gunslinger 261, it's a few hundred more so I'm savin' up, but it's got stick capability, and can do dc tig too.

-Tom

Reply to
TT

Dave, I own a millermatic 175 mig for all around general use and a firepower FP-18 plasma cutter (Thermadyne)

miller welds 16ga-1/4" steel well. I paid about $750.
plasma cutter works great on sheet metal but only cuts to about 1/8" ($599. is a great price for this and you can get consumables at any good welding shop) I use them primarily on motorcycle projects as well. Here's a couple motorcycle "related" projects:
luck!

walt

Reply to
wallster

A few months ago I purchased a new HTP200 from HTP. I found Jeff Noland (President of HTP) to be extremely knowledgeable, helpful and at all times, focused on my needs (not profit margin). Several of my friends (with many years at MIG/TIG and just as many brand names) all agree it is the smoothest welding MIG they've ever used (two are dumping their welders for a replacement HTP). I (we) found HTP's ratings (on thickness) to be quite conservative. HTP's pre-and-post sales support was exemplory and the product,... w/o equal. Since that purchase, I bought another (small TIG) welder from HTP and after a weekend of use, two more friends bought the same unit!. The HTP MIG200 feed system is outstanding... no-birdnesting, no binding, just easy-to-feed delivery (all metal gear drive) and the quality of construction and incredible range of output makes this a welder for life.

I'm not sure you'll need a 2400 (as Jeff recommended, the 200 is easily twice what I'll need) but whatever you buy, if it comes from HTP, it will be money well spent. On power, my HTP200 was doing classroom perfect welds on 3/16" steel (heavy roll cage project) at only 1/2 power.

A final suggestion, do not (as I originally did) compare other product's model numbers to HTP's... HTP's amperage rating is dead-on and the weld is sooo smooooth throughout the entire range. Try before you buy, if you don't, you'll never know what you are missing!

- An avid HTP fan, -Steve

Reply to
Steven_O'Harra