O.T.- Anybody familliar with Onan 12.5 deisel gensets?

I'm looking at buying an Onan genset. It's a late 80's vintage 4 cyl aircooled diesel unit, 120/240 single phase. Seems to be the same model unit shown here-

As far as I can tell it has about 1500 hours on it since it's last rebuild. I had the seller fire it up today & after warming up it was blowing white smoke . The owner sez it was fine last time he ran it back in June. It also seemed to take a while to settle down before it ran evenly although there may have been some air in the fuel line.

Q.- Any ideas what the white smoke is all about? Is this likely to be a tuneup item or something more serious?

Q.-What's a rebuild on one of these things cost?

Q.- Anything in particular I should be looking for/concerned about with one of these units?

Q.- How much do you think its worth?

Thanks,

Howard.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Is it Onan DJC? If so, I have an Onan DJE, a very similar unit, only 2 cylinders instead of 4.

white smoke is unburned, atomized diesel fuel.

A lot, but... Why would you need a rebuild? They will outlast you.

If it starts, and runs, it is in a good shape.

Good, like new Onan DJC's (yours is not like new) sell for $3,500 often.

I would pay $2k for one like yours. If you can get away with paying less, great for you. I got my DJE for about $600+, but I had to do some repairs.

Check out

,they have a great forum for onan gensets, with onan techs partcipating.

Ignoramus27122

To get rid of the white smoke.

Except that it is obviously running on 3 cylinders (or less). If you can crank it over by hand (with the injection pump set to shutoff), you can see if there is an obvious lack of compression on one cylinder. (I think it is pretty clear, even from this distance, there will be.) You might be able to determine which valve (if any) is the cause. If intake, it might just be a sticky valve, and an oil change and a warmup to full temperature might clear it up. If exhaust, that could be a burned valve, which will take a little more work and money to fix. Some Diesels have emergency shutdown mechanisms that lock the exhaust valves open in case the governor or fuel pump malfuctions. If this engine is so equipped, it could be that the emerg. shutdown mechanism has gotten out of adjustment and is holding one valve open. Most of these schemes have a system of levers that come through the valve cover, so it should be quite obvious.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

It's not necessesarily a loss of compression. The same white smoke symptom can come from a damaged or dirty injector tip that isn't properly atomizing the fuel.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh