Observations and apologies

The other day, I took a poster to task for a reply to some questions I asked. Then I realized in the past that I had done the exact same thing. For that I apologize.

It's not important to me any more to correct someone's spelling, grammar, or to write what I think about their question. I remember when I was starting out and asked some dumb questions. I remember recently when I asked some dumb questions. Then I remembered the old saying, "The only dumb question is the one you don't ask."

Life is changing for me. It is not so necessary any more to set the world straight, or argue with idiots. In the welding field, I have witnessed some weldors I thought were geniuses, but who others would consider inferior. The best weldor I ever saw was named Jose. He couldn't read or write, but he could make two pieces of 12" pipe come together from any angle using a sheet of paper, a matchbook cover, and a piece of soapstone. Then he's have to clean up stuff by trimming about 1/8" here and there. I wish he were in this group, as a lot of his knowledge will die with him.

I've been in a lot of shops where the welders spent their time outside the glass confines of the office. They got it done. The wannabes and engineers (nothing against engineers, I just haven't had good luck with them) sit and talk about how it SHOULD be done or what the print says even though out in the shop, it still comes up a foot short, and they want you to try it again for the THIRD time. A lot of the guys in the shop were just a little rough around the edges. But you weren't interested in finding a mate for your sister, just someone who would do their share of the work.

It is so in this group. Lots of polished jewels, and some jewels in the rough. This is a great group. It has a couple of village idiots, and everyone has their favorite(s). I think if we had to all come together somewhere to do some big project to save the world, we'd all be there in our Carharts and get it done and do it for free. There'd still be the outer ring of people who were finger pointing, scratching various body parts, throwing a hissy fit about how it SHOULD be done, and just being PITAs. I think we could make a sizeable contribution of aluminum cans to the Boy Scouts afterwards, too. ;-)

So, I promise to do my best (I'm only human) not to correct anyone's spelling, grammar, or comment negatively. This ain't alt.english.perfectionism or alt.analbehavior.ocb but rather a how to Git - R - Done group.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB