Opinions on Snap-On Plasma Cutter

Hello,

I'm trolling the net looking for anyone who can offer reality-based opinions on a particular model of plasma cutter. There's a Snap-On model YA2230 for sale in my area. I know very little about it yet, aside from the fact that it's 220V only, listed at $1150 Canadian (roughly 850 USD)

Can anyone offer any suggestions? This email *does* work, despite the name. ;)

snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca

thanks!! Mike

Reply to
Mike

I don't know anything about that one specifically but I did a bit of searching and here's what I found:

A search for YA2230 on the Snap-On site gives me the following:

You may have to paste the link for it to work. Snap-On sells it for a bit over $1400! Since it's a 110V machine it may not be the correct one but it is the only thing that I get when I search their site for that number.

Anyway, if that is indeed what they're selling it's not a 220V machine and it's very lightweight. It's made by Century and is their model 82021 which is only $950 new from Northern Tools:

So if you see it and it looks like the one in either of the pictures their price is too high in my opinion.

If you see it and find that it is a much larger machine it's probably a decent deal assuming it works OK. Even a bigger unit is probably built by Century so you may be able to get a manual and/or parts cheaper than you could from Snap-On.

Keith Marshall

But the advantage of buying from the Snap On man is the fact that it'll only cost you XX dollars per week. (I managed to convince my wife using that rationale and now finally have a tool chest large enough for all my tools...)

erie

Reply to
Erie Patsellis

it'll only cost you XX dollars per week. (I managed to convince my wife using that rationale and now finally have a tool chest large enough for all my tools...)

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Reply to
Jamie Arnold (W)

Interestingly enough, what did the Snap On man show up with today??? a used millermatic 250, He knew I'd been looking for another mig so I don't have to keep switching between steel and Al. wire. He offered it to me for $800, which I promptly said yes to...:)

erie

Reply to
Erie Patsellis

Got a MIG,got a stick welder and today i got my first plasma cutter.Great day.