OT - Basic Skills in Today's World

That's true for any people, look at the way we (I'm English) reacted to Germany's bombings of London and other major cities, or how we reacted when the IRA destroyed the centre of my city (Manchester), or when our home grown Islamists butchered people in the subways of London.

Everyone adapts, and very quickly.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

The foundation and rough framing was very uneventful. I may not have even been around? Electrical was a FAST run by. Slap the pass sticker on, and out of the house. Never looked at the connections back to the breaker box, never checked the wire runs in the attic (that was ok).

The plumbing was completely different. I go to the offices to show my plans and prove I know plumbing. (Golden Rule-- shit don't run uphill), and for him to approve my plans. I wait as he reams out a contractor. I actually thought the guy might cry. Holy crap he worked him over. So......next up is little ol' me. Show him my plans, talk about what and how I plan to do this.....blah, blah. In no time at all he is redrawing my plans and showing me a cheaper and easier way to do the DWV. What I had was text book, but what he showed me was legal and much easier. Guess what.....I did it his way. The plumbing inspector ended up becoming a customer of mine (Banker in real life) long after the job was over.

The long and short of it is.....show me someone who is logical, creative and has good common sense, and I will hire that SOB right out from underneath you!!

Reply to
NewsJunky

It was actually written by Malvina Reynolds, not Pete Seeger

See

John Cowart

Reply to
bo peep

Interesting that the electrical inspections seem to be the most lax since bad wiring can burn the place down !!! In their defense however, I heard it explained that if things look good at first glance (as opposed to a spagetti mess) then the rest is likely OK as well. I am sure there is some truth to this, but you would think they could apply a little more effort.

This also is similar to my experiences....Plumbing Inspectors almost always are quite hardnosed, though I'll bet the contractor that got the reaming was trying to dick him around. At least he was willing to share his knowledge with you, which I don't see very often. Mostly they get pissed if you don't already know everything.

Which brings us back to the topic of this whole thread.....These types are going to be harder and harder to find, already are in fact.

Jeff

Reply to
Never_Enough_Tools

Blew your credibility with that statement. Work at a desk, don't you?

Reply to
CW

Many people understand how to manipulate nature, but they're clueless about nature's limits, and how Man is pushing those limits to the edge. This IS a survival newsgroup, after all. Home repair can be learned with common sense and instructions if one has the will. What's really hard to teach is respect for the land and conservation values that can prevent societal collapse. Greed is the norm but it won't fix anything in the long run. Anyone who's a survivalist and a "conservative" had better stop wasting and start conserving for a change.

R. Lander

Reply to
R. Lander

"CW" wrote in news:%KaCg.1811$Qf.1025 @newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Huh?

The tool & die shop where I served my apprenticeship had about 10 guys all working with manual machines. There is no doubt that all of that work could be done by two guys a VMC and a couple of wire EDMs nowadays.

If you think that all the manufacturing jobs were lost overseas, you are misinformed. Most were lost to automation, which includes CNC.

Reply to
D Murphy

A good relationship with a good inspector is one of the best helps a contractor can have.

When I held my electrician license, Old Al, one of the county inspectors I dealt with, often suggested different approaches to jobs than my proposed plans. He was seldom wrong and always very conscientious. If he did find something wrong, he'd make sure to mark it or reference it clearly so I could find and fix it easily.

It's a lot easier to correct a problem when the inspector leaves a note like: "3rd receptacle from door on the sink side no ground. Fix it and call me. I'll pass the job so you can get paid."

He'd better never go back and find you hadn't fixed it, though. No way you'd ever do another job in that county in one try thereafter. He got out his microscope then and would even measure staple placement on a rough-in or exactly how much ground rod was sticking out of the dirt. Couple of fellows found that out the hard way.:)

Reply to
John Husvar

I wrote some software for a roll grinding machine once. I pointed out that I thought a good machinist could do as well or better than the machine. I was told that they knew that, but all their machinists were retiring soon and they just couldn't find replacements that knew anything. So they imported an expensive machine to do the job.

Note that they had to import the grinder. They also had to import the rolling mill the rolls were for. Nobody in the US could/would build such a mill.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I have been doing machine work (toolmaking, production machining, custom work, manual and CNC) for twenty years. Machinists are in higher demand than any occupation that I know of. I am currently the foreman of a shop that does machining, stamping and forming for government and the aerospace industry. Part of my job is routing jobs to the appropriate machine/process. There are many jobs that would be done more cost effectively and faster on manual machnes rather than CNCs but, unless I want to do it myself (no time for that) it goes on the CNC as we have a severe shortage of qualified machinists. The advantage of the automation only comes at the end of the line. After the jobs have gone through the planer, the programmer and the setup man, the machine can often be run by a semi-skilled operator and they are even hard to find. CNCs haven't put anybody out of work. They have enabled companies to fill the demand using the available personnel. Want a job? If you are qualified, I can guarantee you a good job within hours. I had someone call me up with a job offer just last week based on a resume that I had given him six years ago. A few years ago, I made the mistake of putting a resume up on Monster. Within a day, I was receiving calls from professional head hunters trying to fill positions from here (Seattle) to the east coast. The calls started to subside after a time and I never made that mistake again.

"D Murphy" wrote in message news:Xns981A7361A132BW12BU20MU38SY@130.133.1.4...

Reply to
CW

Happens all the time. Automation is not replacing people, it is taking up were there are no people to do the job. The need for this will only increase in coming years as the largest segment of society (the baby boomers) start to retire and there are no replacements for them. I have seen a few local shops go out of business because they could not find qualified help to keep going.

Reply to
CW

For those who are history challenged...go too Google, images..then type in London Blitz

Take a good look at the photos.

One should note..British Civilizaton (such as it is ) didnt collapse despite even that.

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

True enough. Which is why there are now newsgroups dedicated to hobby guys with shops full of Hardinge lathes and such. Bridgeports in home hobby shops? Common as dirt now days.

Crank turning is almost a dying art. And those rooms filled with 30 guys making stuff on Bridgports are gone now.

Gunner

"If I'm going to reach out to the the Democrats then I need a third hand.There's no way I'm letting go of my wallet or my gun while they're around."

"Democrat. In the dictionary it's right after demobilize and right before demode` (out of fashion).

-Buddy Jordan 2001

Reply to
Gunner

Look at Liverpool, Manchester, and particularly Coventry - where a lot of aircraft were built ( Jaguar's factory made Spitfires for example)

Thank you.

We won after all. With a bit of help (We finish paying the bills to the US any day now -seriously). People have accused our civilisation of having become corrupt and effete compared to the people of the 1940s, but the reaction of the people to the London bombings last year was utterly magnificent, as was the US reaction to 9/11.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Gunner wrote on Tue, 08 Aug 2006 16:01:41 GMT in misc.survivalism :

Larry Bond has an interesting novel "Enemy Within". All about how an increase in "domestic" terrorism turns out to be part of the cover for an Iranian invasion of Saudi Arabia. The other part was the Iranian military taking out "all" of the of the terrorists bases in Iran. As Judy Tend would say "It could happen."

tschus pyotr

-- pyotr filipivich Typos, Grammos and da kind are the result of ragin hormones Fortesque Consulting: Teaching Pigs to Sing since 1968.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

I think a lot of people today have too much money at their disposal. Before you jump on that statement, remember necessity is the mother of invention. If the pipes leaked and you couldn't afford a plumber,you would probably find a way to repair the leak. However some fools would rather drown.....

Gary

Reply to
Gary Tomada

BTDT, used the T-shirt to stuff the holes shut. Have been blessed to not have had to do that for a while. When people to reach the point you describe, the most resourceful figure out how to adapt and fix things.

... and then have their survivors wail about how the government was so uncaring to let them drown.

[Just a little gasoline for the fire ;-) ]

Mark & Juanita

Gunner wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

A voice of reason.

But just think about how much tasty iron went to the scrap heap. One day at a shop where I worked, I look out the window and the shop next door (stamping shop) is dragging all of their manual machines from the tool room outside. Later, on a break, I went over and asked about maybe buying some stuff. Nope! Not for sale!

I watched them cut up and beat the machines with sledgehammers over the next couple of days. Then they were carted off to the scrap yard. Monarchs, Bridgeports, you name it. All in good working order up until they went to CNC.

Turns out the guy that owned the company got his start by buying two old machines his employer was getting rid of. Fast forward 25 years and he owns a huge multi million dollar company and he put his former employer out of business along the way. Nothing left his place in repairable condition. Ever.

Reply to
D Murphy

That collapse occurred later, when the Brits successively leveled great parts of Urban Britain. At least the luftwaffe had just demolished the buildings, not replaced them with ugly edifices as monuments to the bottom line.