Oxy-propane cutting adaptor?

Threaded View
Now that I have several of forklift propane tanks, I would like to
start cutting stuff with oxy-propane instead of O/A. I think that I
need an adaptor for propane tank to acetylene regulator, or something
of the sort. Does anybody know what that stuff is and what it is
called. Thanks

Re: Oxy-propane cutting adaptor?

Went to propane and came back.  You have to get a set of hoses that are
compatible with propane, and different tips.  Everything else is usable.
Torches, regs, etc.  I don't like the way propane burns.

I would check with a supplier to see if they make an adapter for a forklift
fuel tank to propane regulator.  The other tanks work fine with an acet reg.

Steve

Re: Oxy-propane cutting adaptor?
Fork lift tanks have a float valve that only allows propane to go out
the valve when the tank is laying down in a certain orientation. And
then only liquid propane comes out. The regulator system in the forklift
warms and vaporizes the propane just before it reaches the carburetor.

You want to get a regular commercial propane tank that sets upright and
has the regulator connection on the top.

Paul

Re: Oxy-propane cutting adaptor?

I got five aluminum fork lift propane tanks for $20 at a yard sale once.
Sold them for $125 for the five.

Steve

Re: Oxy-propane cutting adaptor?

I got one tank for free recently, and several for $25 each.

Re: Oxy-propane cutting adaptor?

Some forklift tanks have a vapor connection, and a liquid connection.
It is better to run from a large normal propane tank.
5 gallon (20 lb.) BBQ tanks have flow limiters that choke the flow
after a while if you have a high draw.

I love Propane for cutting and nothing beats it for large rosebud tips.

You should use T-grade hoses for propane, but acetylene (R-grade) hoses
will work, they just won't last as long.

The torch and regulators are fine as long as you can get a POL adapter
for the forklift bottle.
The POL connection is standard for all propane and acetylene bottles.

You will need propane tips for the cutting torch.

The reason most people don't like propane for cutting is that they set
the flame wrong.
If you set it so it looks like an acetylene flame it will not work.
You need to run your propane at 5 psi, and keep turning the flame up
until your fuel is maxed out on the torch.
You need to increase the oxygen until the flame is very loud and very
pale.

Also you need to float the tip higher off the metal than with an
acetylene tip.
3/4" is a good standoff distance.

Site Timeline