Oxy-propane cutting adaptor?

Now that I have several of forklift propane tanks, I would like to start cutting stuff with oxy-propane instead of O/A. I think that I need an adaptor for propane tank to acetylene regulator, or something of the sort. Does anybody know what that stuff is and what it is called. Thanks

Reply to
Ignoramus6053

Went to propane and came back. You have to get a set of hoses that are compatible with propane, and different tips. Everything else is usable. Torches, regs, etc. I don't like the way propane burns.

I would check with a supplier to see if they make an adapter for a forklift fuel tank to propane regulator. The other tanks work fine with an acet reg.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Fork lift tanks have a float valve that only allows propane to go out the valve when the tank is laying down in a certain orientation. And then only liquid propane comes out. The regulator system in the forklift warms and vaporizes the propane just before it reaches the carburetor.

You want to get a regular commercial propane tank that sets upright and has the regulator connection on the top.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

"Paul Drahn" wrote

I got five aluminum fork lift propane tanks for $20 at a yard sale once. Sold them for $125 for the five.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I got one tank for free recently, and several for $25 each.

Ignoramus6053

Some forklift tanks have a vapor connection, and a liquid connection. It is better to run from a large normal propane tank.

5 gallon (20 lb.) BBQ tanks have flow limiters that choke the flow after a while if you have a high draw.

I love Propane for cutting and nothing beats it for large rosebud tips.

You should use T-grade hoses for propane, but acetylene (R-grade) hoses will work, they just won't last as long.

The torch and regulators are fine as long as you can get a POL adapter for the forklift bottle. The POL connection is standard for all propane and acetylene bottles.

You will need propane tips for the cutting torch.

The reason most people don't like propane for cutting is that they set the flame wrong. If you set it so it looks like an acetylene flame it will not work. You need to run your propane at 5 psi, and keep turning the flame up until your fuel is maxed out on the torch. You need to increase the oxygen until the flame is very loud and very pale.

Also you need to float the tip higher off the metal than with an acetylene tip.

3/4" is a good standoff distance.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler