Painted a Wilton machinist vise, maybe it is nuts.

This is a Wilton 500S machinist vise. (500S means 5 inch jaw, Swivel base). The vise is a work of art in itself. While it did not look too bad to begin with, I decided to replaint it. I first thoroughly cleaned it, degreased, degreased some more, wire brished it, degreased some more and wiped thoroughly. I also milled off a small layer off the anvil to make it smooth. Then I applied a "cold galvanizing paint" that is extremely durable. On top of that, I used a spray oil based enamel as a red paint.

Reply to
Ignoramus17335

The vise looks great but I wonder what (referring to the area of the bench where it is mounted) the connotation of a "red vise district" is? Respectfully, Ron Moore

Reply to
Ron Moore

Without a doubt the single worst pun I have ever heard, Ron.

Congratulations! :-)

Grant Erwin

Reply to
Grant Erwin

This picture seems to directly pertain to your question.

Ignoramus9931

That is by far a great job and concept. The undercoat in zinc. Cool.

I have a large vice, been in the family for more than 50 years and it was 'scrapped' when we (Dad and I) picked it up - he did I was young.

The color concept goes along with Grants Shop. One I admire for concept of use in color in a shop.

Martin

Mart> R>> The vise looks great but I wonder what (referring to the area of the

Martin H. Eastburn

I am going to give my 7 year old kid a small Wilton machinist vise with 3" jaws. I think that it is small enough so that he will not ever feel a need to get rid of it as "too big" and will last him a lifetime.

here it is

Ignoramus9931

Back when I rebuilt my Boeing Surplus Wilton machinist's vise, I took the advice from the then-regulars and fitted a roller bearing and pair of hardened washers under the head of the vise screw. People say you get more oomph for less uggg.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I did near the same thing to my son. Built him a 'his size' bench and put on the 4" vice I got when I was 4. That vice and bench sits in one of our shop buildings and my wife uses it - awaiting for son to get his act together and get a place for it. He wants it back.

The bench was built from Yellow Pine studs and is a small tank. Storage underneath and a peg board at the back.

I didn't get a Wilton then or now. But maybe I will.

Martin

Mart> >> That is by far a great job and concept. The undercoat in zinc. Cool. >>

Martin H. Eastburn

Those would be cone bearings?

Reply to
Ignoramus9931

I bought three wilton bullet vises at that factory, 3, 4, and 5 inch vises.

My plan is, 1) sell the 5 incher (the one I painted). That will pay for the 4 and 3 inchers, in effect. 3) I will keep the 4 incher and 4) give the 3 inch vise to the kid.

Ignoramus9931

Around here, almost any welder or fab guy with a flat bed truck has one on the tail or wants one. The covered screw helps keep it covered from rain.

Mart> >> I did near the same thing to my son. Built him a 'his size' bench

Martin H. Eastburn

How do they prevent them from getting stolen? Weld the ends of the bolts holding them to the bed?

Ignoramus9931

That or something like it.

Depending on how accessible the bottom of the bed is, you can often just use carriage bolts from the top down.

Reply to
Maxwell

Needle roller thrust would probably handle the most static load.

But be careful, it's pretty easy to overload most bearings with a screwed thread. You are going to need a serious bearing.

Reply to
Maxwell

A point was made to me once, which was that if I thought that I needed some incredible holding force, in a vise, that I was simply doing something wrong.

Reply to
Ignoramus9931

I didn't even think about bearing load ratings, just went to the bearing store and picked out one from their catalog that fit. It's worked for oh seven years or so now.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Keep in mind, also, that even if the bottom base is bolted down securely, the thief can simply remove the top part and walk away with it, and leave the bottom where it was.

Reply to
Ignoramus9931

Most vises I've seen on trucks aren't mounted to a swivel base.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

I'm not saying it can't be done. It's just easy to under estimate thrust bearing loads of most bearings, when compared to the clamping force of a threaded rod.

Reply to
Maxwell

On a couple of them I've bought in the past, I threaded a piece of 1" plate cut to the base profile, welded it to the bench, then used epoxy on the bolts to bolt the vise to the base. You could still get it undone by heating the bolts until the epoxy breaks down, but boy, it stinks.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor