Pictures of my corner welds (after following your suggestions)

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I tried 7018 rod and weaving, etc. I made a few slices of that weld and did some destructive testing on one.

Ignoramus8243

Hi there,

I am having the ame problem as you have described. I tried 6013, 7014, and 6011. It looks OK but bubble gum is stronger.

I am running between 80 and 100 Amps. I 'feel' that I need more Amps because I am just 'hot glueing' melted steel and not penetrating.both pieces.

Are you running electrode + or -?

Reply to
BoyntonStu

I am running DCEN. Like for you, it was complete shit with 6013. 7018 seemed to work better. I am basically a complete newbie to welding, so value my words appropriately.

Ignoramus8243

Reply to
RoyJ

Well first of all you should be running E7018 on reverse polarity (DCEP).

I have used E7018 on straight polarity for running a root pass on pressure pipe!. But for the most part E7018 is always used on reverse polarity!

A good rule of thumb for current setting is to take the decimal equivalent of the size of rod and set the amps to that decimal setting. ie: 1/8 E7018 = .125 of an inch, start at 125 amps and adjust from there. Same goes for 5/32 E7018, ......5/23 = .15625 of an inch so start at 160 amps and adjust from there. All welding machines are a little different so this formula is only a basis for setting the heat.

Gary

Reply to
Gary