Ping Ernie - Millermatic 250X wire burn-back problem

Ernie,

Sometime ago, I saw an old discussion on this problem, which you attributed to a design defect in the electronic innards of the Millermatic 250X.

I have one of these machines that I bought new. And I can attest that it had this problem. With distressing regularity, upon beginning a new weld, the wire would melt off inside the tip and stick there. This would require me to stop, dismantle the gun and tip, and often replace the tip. Then do it again.

In fact, that may be why, to this day, I detest the MIG process.

Some time ago, I bought a spool gun. I don't remember the model number. But I believe I've seen you refer to it as the best spool gun out there. But both items have been gathering dust in my closet for some time.

Now I'm embarking on an ambitious fence building project for which the machine would be the tool of choice provided I can count on it to work reliably.

So, I have two questions for you (or anybody else):

a) Is the design problem fixable with a new board? In other words, if I go to Miller can they give me any relief for the cost of a new board?

b) Does this problem raise its ugly little haid with a spoolmatic gun or just with the original gun the machine was equipped with?

I recently bought some heavy wall drill pipe. I hope to fab complete sections of 8' fence by welding the uprights to the stanchions while laid over on pipe stands. Then I'll pick 'em up with an all terrain forklift and drop the sections into place.

So, is the 250X gonna do me any good? Or am I destined for an exercise in frustration if I try to use it for this project?

Thanks and regards,

Vernon

Reply to
Vernon

NO, Miller's repair was to design a new machine, the Millermatic 251.

The spoolgun is immune to this problem.

The 250X will work fine as long as you remember to clip the wire flush with the tip every time you stop welding.

I have a Millermatic 300 (same vintage) at DIT now, and it has the same problem but not quite as bad. Just clip your wire flush every time.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ernie,

That's uplifting to hear. By the way, while noodling around the archives I saw where a guy said he discombobulated the "hot start" feature that, supposedly caused the problem. Is that a viable option?

Of course, I like your fix (clip the wire) better.

Thanks!

Vernon

Reply to
Vernon

I wouldn't know how and all the repair guys I know have never been able to figure it out.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler