Plasma Cutter - Best bang for buck on low cost end?

Threaded View
My brother and I are considering going 1/2 on a plasma cutter.  We'd
like to keep the purchase under $1k ish total.  We're mostly doing thin
stuff 1/8 or 1/4 on occasion.  What's best bang for the buck in this area?

Re: Plasma Cutter - Best bang for buck on low cost end?
The general consensus is that Thermal Dynamics, and Hypertherm seam to make
the best plasma cutters. I own a thermal dynamics 12 amp machine (goes by
the name drag-gun or victor Firepower) and it suites my needs (I only cut
20ga - 16ga sheet, no more than 1/8" steel). The higher the amperage the
more cutting power you will get. Thermal Dynamic Cutmaster 38 goes for
around a thousand dollars or so (at least on Ebay). Beware of the cheaper
"no name" machines because of the lack of consumables available. You will
need consumables like electrode tips and nozzles, your local welding supply
store should carry the thermal dynamics, hypertherm, or miller items. Clean,
dry air will make them last longer, but ALL plasma cutters consume these
parts.
Good Luck,
walt
ps. if you're cutting anything thicker than 1/8" you will need a 220 volt
input machine.

Site Timeline