Pointing tungstens for TIG

Hi all,

I started pointing tungstens using an old Crapsman 3x21 belt sander and a var speed drill. The belt sander gets flipped upside down, and the trigger switch has a plunger to push in to keep the sander on after you let go of the switch. New fine grit belt used just for tungstens.

The tungsten is inserted into the drill chuck and tightened gently just enough to hold it.

Spin the tungsten in the drill, and use the drill as the holder. Ride the spinning end of the tungsten back and forth across the middle of the belt at whatever angle you need to get the point you want.

Kinda goofy, but a $3 belt, $5 garage sale sander, and my old drill, and the tungstens look just like the ones out of an expensive tungsten grinder.

I'm sure this is nothing new, but for anyone that can use it then there it is.

Have a great holiday.

Reply to
Rooster

I've been freehand grinding them and considering the belt sander, if only I could find the damned thing. The last search came up with my old electric plane, my SO didn't understand why that wasn't good enough.

For an included angle of 30 degrees, that means a 15 degree lift from horizontal. If you get the blunt end about 1/4 of the tungsten's length off the belt you'll be close (enough). So for a 7 inch (new) tungsten the blunt end will be 1 3/4 off the belt. I don't think the drill chuck is needed, just spin it steadily in your fingers. Make sure you're DRAGGING it to the belt's direction of travel, otherwise it just might dig in and go through your hand backwards - a BIG ouchiness will follow.

Yeah, gotta find that sander...

Reply to
RegB

I do the rough grinding for a new point on my bench grinder. I do my pointing on my stationary disk sander. I rest the tungsten on the right side of the sander's table which means the disk is pulling away from my hand and parallel to the shaft of the tungsten. I spin the tungsten with my fingers. That seems to do the trick for me.

Ciao, David Todtman

Reply to
David Todtman

Reply to
Potblak

Blink blink. what makes you think we stick our noses down on the table when grinding tungstens?

Gunner

Gunner

Can't be any worse then smoking a pack a day. All be it I don't smoke. I still will do my tungsten grinding / sanding outside. Brian Lee Sparkeee24

Reply to
Sparkeee24

Reply to
Nate